Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted this dog about 5-6 years ago from the Wellsboro SPCA. When he got her they told us they were not sure how old she was but that she was 5+ years. Well its so sad but she is falling apart...her teeth are rotting, her hips bother her, we think she is going blind, maybe deaf....or else she has selective hearing..lol! the vet says she is just old.

Well her latest thing is growling at NOTHING....she will lay on the floor and just growl!...she has NEVER done that. She is also getting aggressive with the food and water bowl, which she has NEVER done! she was eating the other day and like every other day for the past 5-6 years our other dog Aragon went to get a drink and she attacked him! i had to pry them apart, then Aragon went and hid because he was like..what happened! and Vader...the puppy went and hid under the computer desk!

i fell bad for her...but there is not allot we can do for her....the kids need to steer clear of her, when she is like this because as you can see in the video even when she looked and saw it was me behind her she still was growling :(

Im not sure if she is growling because she is on pain, or if she really is loosing her sight and hearing, but i feel so bad for her! The vet can not find a reason for her behavior...

I have uploaded a video of her growling on u tube, if you want to see what i am talking about search

How do you know when it's time to let your dog go?

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I can't see your video as I am on my cell. I had a dog (terrier/poodle mix, 18 yrs old) who started to walk in circles and bark at walls. I don't know if dogs technically go senile but pretty much that's what it seemed like. Her quality oif life was not good at this point as she always got confused and was always stressed so we helped her cross the bridge peacefully.

If she is doing what you described above quite often you may want to discuss this with your vet as far as is it time?

I am curious, what did your vet say or do when the teeth rotting began? Was there no dental done? It COULD be pain causing all these issues.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we have taken her in several times and the only answer he can give us is that she is just a very old dog, he has looked at her teeth and told us that he teeth are wearing out, the enamel? has worn off and they are just falling out....she also has allergies that seem to be finally under control for a change and now she has started with this odd behavior..:(

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I'm not sure if this is all due to her being in pain bc her teeth are rotting... Have you thought of doing a dental to get rid of the bad teeth and hopefully save the good ones? It is more risky to put an old dog under however.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
8 Posts
So sorry to hear your dog isn't feeling well.
I do feel though it could be possible its related to her teeth. Dogs can get very agitated and grumbly when they are in discomfort. My dog very agitated when she had a bad back.

I think it would be worth while maybe getting some of her rotten teeth surgically removed so they dont bother or hurt her anymore. That would improve her quality of life.
Also about her hips, this drink does WONDERS for dog joints (and human joints!) :)

https://www.foreverliving.com/retail/shop/shopping.do?itemCode=196&task=viewProductDetail

My dog had a terrible bad back. She yelped when she was touched or picked up. She couldnt walk up stairs or jump up on to anything. Her hips were dodgy and she developed a pretty bad limp at one point.
We put her on this drink and a month later, shes perfect again. Not a yelp out of her and she now is back to jumping on my bed at night lol

I would definitely reccommend it. Its worth a try if it can improve her quality of life :)

All the best! x

·
Registered
6 Posts
Because your dog is really sick it is not unusual that he is has gotten a little more aggressive. When my dog was extremely sick and in pain and I went near him he bit me which had never happened before. Based on the fact that your dog is so sick he may need to be put to sleep, ask your vet though what he recommends for your dog and go from there.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm surprised your vet hasn't suggested pulling the bad teeth. That could be causing the dog a lot of pain and discomfort. As for the joints, K9 Liquid Health is a good product to use because it helps rebuild them. Dexamethasone tablets do about the same thing, but K9 Liquid Health would probably be cheaper depending on what your vet charges.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I think it's personal.

That being said a few guidelines
Quality vs. Quantity.
Pain free
What you can do vs. what you wish you could do.

Do what you can do. If your vet does not satisfy what you think, see another. Relize that if you let your dog go with dignity it's not mean-they should be happy and pain free or at least as close as you can do. Talk to your vet about palliative care and time frames. Don't hang on for your sake, but also don't hesitate to get a second opinion.

*hugs* it's a HARD decison to make and you aren't alone.

·
Registered
38 Posts
dane6,

I know what you are going thru. When Jasmine became so ill after taking ProIn, she suffered for 57 days. She tried so hard to get better for me, but on 09-09-09, her eyes told me she was sick and tired of being sick and tired, and I had to help her to The Rainbow Bridge.

Your heart will tell you when it's time.

Cheryl and Angel Jasmine
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/JAMIN001/Resident.htm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts