Dog Forum banner

How do you exercise your dog(s)?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is your most common way of exercising your dog? Please also comment on how frequently you exercise your dog as well... This Is just out of curiosity as well as opening the discussion of the different types of exercise a dog can receive. I prefer taking my dog for two runs a day (between one and two miles) because that is convenient for my schedule and tires Molly out enough to not get into trouble when I go to work or school. I run here every day unless it's the weekend, during weekends I opt for long walks instead.

·
Super Moderator
318 Posts
I voted walking. They get about 5 walks a day, totalling roughly two hours. I try to do some training or scentwork, if I'm not sleep deprived or exhausted.

·
Registered
850 Posts
My choices are too varied to fit the question.
We are lucky enough to live in a fairly rural town so in the morning we head to go off on our long walk which is between 1 and 3 hours hiking around woods , fields or one of the local nature reserves.
Then in the afternoon and the evening we stay more local and go for a normal walk in a park nearby, sometimes we go to a doggy playground ( these are not playgrounds with other dogs) it's one of the safe places where George can be off lead then they play chase, they run after the ball, they jump over obstacles, they climb and all kinds of stuff.
then there's the swimming, in the summer for the last couple of years we've had a small pool in the back garden for Murphy it's only a couple of metres long and about 60 cm deep but it's enough for him to play in and have a little swim plus we take them to the beach quite regularly where they can paddle or swim if they feel like it.

·
Super Moderator
2,800 Posts
Where would you say the line falls between walking and hiking? I said walking but a walk could be a good couple of hours in countryside.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Where would you say the line falls between walking and hiking? I said walking but a walk could be a good couple of hours in countryside.

According to the dictionary walking is on pavement ,gravel or other path whereas hiking is anything which is a done off the track on natural surfaces with differences in elevation or or terrain so I guess if you're off in the woods it counts as hiking.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ozzy gets two or three 20 minute walks a day (currently 4 months old), he runs outside in the back (large subburb backyrad), plays fetch, helps me with yardwork ect. We spend a good 1.5-2hrs outside in the morning either in the back, the front and walking. We do nosework daily and mental exercise training. We mostly play (run around inside) at night. He actually takes care of his own exercise often, he LoVes to run and play "chase me", always playing if he's not napping. He's so not a lazy dog and I love it! He actually made ME lose weight lol!

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
We go on a daily walk that is about 20-30 minutes in length. We'd go longer but his arthritis is quite bad right now so we are limiting physical exercise.

On the weekends we go to my parents' farm and do hikes in the pasture. We'll hike for a bit and then I'll sit and read while he sniffs around, swims, or lays beside me. Again, we'd do more there but are a bit limited right now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We usually take a walk along a river, and then let it off its leash on a beach and play fetch with it while it's swimming. We also hike sometimes, but not in places with animals such as sheep or cows. Last time we did that our dog almost ate some sheep poop.💩 She's very curious.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have two dogs, a border collie and a senior lab mix, aside from daily walks, which are sometimes done on a long line where they get to set the pace, just sniff and explore, and 'be a dog'. My border collie at 2 1/2 yrs. enjoys 'high energy' stuff, playing fetch, chasing his coffee can around, and engaging in games such as 'Find it' where I might throw handful of kibble in the yard and let him loose to seek them out. Or I may toss a treat one at a time, from one side to the other, for him to seek out, asking for eye contact or a nose touch (to my hand) before throwing the next treat. His 'job' in his eyes is to keep his 'air space' clear of those pesky birds and to keep the squirrels from invading his territory. At least once a week he has a play date with his border collie friend from across the street, a chance to really go 'all out' and just be a dog and do 'dog stuff'.
My senior lab who has arthritis, enjoys 'quieter' games, and gentle exercise - the 'find it' game is his favorite, as well as the single treat tossed from side to side. He enjoys playing with our border collie on a daily basis, he still has some spunk, he loves practicing tricks, (spin, touch, weave, 'hide') and is always 'up' for learning something new.

They both enjoy some 'down time' with a stuffed (frozen) Kong, or a good chew bone, and to play the 'show me' game (101 Things to Do with a Box | Karen Pryor Clicker Training) mental exercise is just as important and tiring as physical exercise.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Oooh games! Yes we play a bunch! Like unwrapping treats in scrap material and rolled into a towel, un-bury the kibble from under 2 tiers of towels, countless interactive and food dispensing toys, snuffle mat, ect.

My pup is getting big for it now, but he has a little box fort that he chews on and I scratch the outside and he will dig in the box. We also play 'find the treats' in the box. He will also run around and 'hide' in his fort haha.
20201127_115252.jpg

Now that there is a bit of snow, Ozzy just loves it! He eats it, plays with snowballs and ice pieces, snuffs in it...
I built him a little snow track for running and playing "chase me" as he loves that game ☺
20201126_161157.jpg

He busts down a cushion barrier to get to my OH.
"Finger under the blanket", so many games!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts