Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, fellow dog lovers!
Our university team is currently working on a design project to design a product that can make your experience of cleaning the dog poop outdoor more convenient.
Have you faced any problems before while cleaning up/ picking up the dog poop while taking your dog(s) outdoor? Or do you find it quite a troublesome task sometimes? We welcome any suggestions or advice related to this problem or anything you would like to mention!

·
Registered
194 Posts
One thing I’ve thought about is to have different sized poop bags. Sometimes the bags are a bit too small and when trying to get it back over your hand with all the poo it might get on the top of the bag where you’re supposed to hold it. And at the same time the bags are often unnecessary big for smaller dogs and just a waste of plastic. Of course a thicker plastic is preferable, I hate when I accidentally buy paper thin ones, must be very insanitary.

·
Super Moderator
376 Posts
It's normally no bother to use a bag. My main issue with bags is that they are bad for the environment. Even biodegradable ones need an aerobic environment to break down, and as they usually end up in landfill, there is no oxygen to make that happen. If they do break down, it is into microplastics which are arguably worse for the environment. In a place where there is no chance of it being stood on or getting to grazing land, a 'flick with a stick' policy is greener.

So develop an affordable, fully biodegradable bag and I will sign up!

·
Registered
152 Posts
We use freezer bags. Bio ones either still contain plastics or the ones made of paper or potato starch dissolve when wet and i end up with dog poo dropping out down my leg... Nasty.
One huge problem is litter...while picking up after one dog I sliced my finger open on part of a broken bottle that was lying in the grass..

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm moving to cornstarch bags in the hope that they'll be better for the environment even in landfills. If they dissolve in the rain I shall get some sort of small waterproof caddy I can pop them in till I get to the bin. In the back garden I use old bread bags.

I prefer bags with handles. Also, thin ones that come on rolls sometimes tear when you separate them which renders them useless. But on balance I'd rather be careful while separating them as presumably, the thinner the bag the better for the environment.

The only problems I have are finding the ones that are camouflaged amongst fallen leaves, or runny ones that he chooses to do in a gorse bush.

What I'd really love is a way to deal with the people who just leave their dog's poo lying around, either unbagged or in a bag. I've yet to come up with a theory as to why someone would bother to bag it if they're then going to leave it lying around to pollute the environment or kill a cow :mad:

·
Registered
152 Posts
I cant understand that mindset either. Its like the ones who carry heavy full water bottles on a hike but then dump the empty almost weightless ones in the bushes...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Most folks don't pick up after their dogs because they don't think anyone is watching - or if they do pick it up, there is the hassle of carrying it around until they find a garbage bin to dispose of it. Make sure there are plenty of garbage bins near by and folks may pick up after their pets - but I wouldn't hold my breath on that. :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Most folks don't pick up after their dogs because they don't think anyone is watching - or if they do pick it up, there is the hassle of carrying it around until they find a garbage bin to dispose of it. Make sure there are plenty of garbage bins near by and folks may pick up after their pets - but I wouldn't hold my breath on that. :)
Im a member of a nature organistation and I asked them why they dont provide litter bins, not even in the car parks. The answer was not what I expected. They said by providing a bin they found that the problem of litter dumping became worse. People had the idea that if there is a bin it means someone will be coming to empty/clean up and so they used that as a cue to dump all sorts of things. The warden I spoke to says he patrols and always has a large strong litter bag with him but one day he was called out and told there was kitchen waste in a car park of theirs, when he arrived he said he just stood there mouth open in shock waiting for someone to jump out with a film team like candid camera. There right next to the litter bin wasnt kitchen waste... there was an entire kitchen including taps and sink worktops cupoboards etc dumped in the carpark as if it was waiting to be installed..
Since they removed all litter bins they have found that the amount of litter dumped in nature areas has dropped significantly.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Im a member of a nature organistation and I asked them why they dont provide litter bins, not even in the car parks. The answer was not what I expected. They said by providing a bin they found that the problem of litter dumping became worse. People had the idea that if there is a bin it means someone will be coming to empty/clean up and so they used that as a cue to dump all sorts of things. The warden I spoke to says he patrols and always has a large strong litter bag with him but one day he was called out and told there was kitchen waste in a car park of theirs, when he arrived he said he just stood there mouth open in shock waiting for someone to jump out with a film team like candid camera. There right next to the litter bin wasnt kitchen waste... there was an entire kitchen including taps and sink worktops cupoboards etc dumped in the carpark as if it was waiting to be installed..
Since they removed all litter bins they have found that the amount of litter dumped in nature areas has dropped significantly.

Wow! A lot of good points that I never thought about - yet, I can see the logic behind it. And of course, if you put out a trash bin - someone does have to empty it occasionally - one would think. Well, of course, that explains why there is so much litter along the roads - it would appear folks have little choice. However, I get so ticked when my dog poops when we go for a walk! ;-) He has an area in my yard where he does his business and it gets scooped and bagged - which I take him to use before the walk - then 5 minutes into the walk he decides he has to take a dump!! Of course I pick it up - but then I have to carry it around for the entire walk. ugh! Next time I ought to hang it on to his collar and make him carry it - lol!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow! A lot of good points that I never thought about - yet, I can see the logic behind it. And of course, if you put out a trash bin - someone does have to empty it occasionally - one would think. Well, of course, that explains why there is so much litter along the roads - it would appear folks have little choice. However, I get so ticked when my dog poops when we go for a walk! ;-) He has an area in my yard where he does his business and it gets scooped and bagged - which I take him to use before the walk - then 5 minutes into the walk he decides he has to take a dump!! Of course I pick it up - but then I have to carry it around for the entire walk. ugh! Next time I ought to hang it on to his collar and make him carry it - lol!
Same here. In addition my Bella trying to cover it up herself by kicking a dirt several times gets me dirty from sand and dust ! By the way, why is she doing it? I like your last sentence 😃😀😀

·
Registered
97 Posts
Same here. In addition my Bella trying to cover it up herself by kicking a dirt several times gets me dirty from sand and dust ! By the way, why is she doing it?
Dogs have scent markers in their feet, so they are leaving their own smell - as if the smell of their poo wasn't enough. It's 'I was here' in dog speak. My dog is a very enthusiastic scraper, and I'm sure he sometimes waits till I'm just in the right position before covering me with earth!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Same here. In addition my Bella trying to cover it up herself by kicking a dirt several times gets me dirty from sand and dust ! By the way, why is she doing it? I like your last sentence 😃😀😀
They aren’t actually trying to cover it up. In fact they’re trying to do the opposite. By scratching and kicking away their poo they’re spreading their scent. They also have glands in their paws that releases scent. By scratching and kicking they’re spreading this scent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts