Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just adopted a pit bull from the local shelter she was only at the shelter for three days before we adopted her. She doesn't like any dog treats or toys not even balls, and wont play at all. She is very obedient and listens well to commands but it seems like she is a robot is there anything I can do to make her a bit more playful she is only 3 years old.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hmm, I'm not sure about that one. It's easy to get puppies to play, but being that she's an adult it may never happen. We got my husband's bird dog as an adult and he has never had any interest in toys as much as we tried. He likes one thing and that's birds! He likes having a job to do and maybe that's the way you're dog is.

Of course, if you haven't had her for very long, she may just need more time to "loosen up". :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Find a toy that really pops with her, either her ears prick up, her tail wags, eyes get big...any kind of reaction. And play with just that toy. Or if she dosent seem at all interested in toys, just you and her play. Get on the floor and act like a dog try getting her to play that way. Then you can introduce her to toys.
If you dont want her to associate hand and her mouth or rough housing/biting then put maybe stove gloves on so she cant tell those are your hands their just toys...that might work?
Like just4hmm said it might take her a while to warm up.
Kudos on adopting a pitty! I rescued one to! They make such great pets. And remember shes a rescue so she might never had anyone play with her or she could have been abused you never know.
Good luck, I hoped I helped.

·
Registered
92 Posts
oh gosh I can't remember the name of the toy....buttt it's a ball that you fill treats with, and the dog will push it, despensing the treats. It works great

Another good one are kongs (no not a plain kong...it has to be filled lol...most dogs hate it if they are just plain)

Another good ones are the Rip-Ems....it's a stuffed toy that is velcro'd together and it meant to rip apart lol.

Also, what does your dog tend to like? I'd say just to to a pet store and buy different toys.
Some dogs are just not into playing as others are, sadly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
my parent's one dog that they adopted from a shelter was the same way. It took him a while to realize that he can indeed play with toys. they also had another dog that would "show" him how to play.

I would let her settle down and see if you can get her to play after that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would give it time, most shelter dogs go through that, they might seem like the liveliest dog in the kennel (their territory) but outside they are nervous, i think that once she is intergrated into your 'pack' she might start lossen up. She might also have a quiet personality :D good luck (sorry for the spelling errors XD)

·
Registered
1 Posts
The past few days have been very busy, and she hasn't been getting the attention she deserves. Fair enough. But now, she's keeping me awake all night long- walking all over me, sniffing me with her little cold wet nose, and jumping off the bed to stand and bark at me on the floor. I think she's getting too much sleep during the day, so she's not tired at night. Any suggestions?
----------------------------------
christepher

·
Registered
46 Posts
if you have a fair amount of land i would try getting or making some agility equipment and whenever you have the time do some simple training, you can get books or find on the internet, ways to train dogs. If you dont have the time then i would keep trying with toys, and things that will get her mind working.

Good luck :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you want to be playful with her, lightly take her face and push it to the side life a soft slow motion slap. keep doing that on each side of her face and you'll see she'll want to play. Also, sit with her and poke her from paw and 'Walk' you're hand on the ground away from her.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got an enlish setter from a breeder and she is the same way. Birds, birds , birds. She is only 10 months and been with us two weeks today. I am just getting her to play now. Find something around the house that she shows some interest in, like a sock or a towel. I have a bunch of store bought toys but nothing interests her like a plain wash cloth. Caution though, if she likes the sock she will think every sock is hers. That goes for pretty much anything but I don't have too many wash cloths about the house so it's been OK so far. Hopefully as she gets comfortable, you will see her take an interest in something. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts