Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do i teach my dog to gnarl? I want him to show teeth and look angry/gnarl on command. I dont want him to attack or something.
Can't find any videos on youtube, i just want him to act agressive (bark,show teeth, gnarl)on command but NOT to attack
I tried teaching him to bark on command, but he only seems to comply when i tie him up somwhere and tell him to bark, when hes not tied up he doesnt bark on command (while having treats of course)
I have no idea how to teach him to gnarl on command however
Any tips?
*He's a cute looking 14 months old german shepherd

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Faking viciousness is in my opinion not a good idea, because innocent people have a right to protect themselves (as in shoot your dog) if they are in public and sense an imminent life threatening attack. Why would you do that?

That being said, many dogs will bark quite convincingly on their own if they see a stranger, to alert the owner.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No obviously i can use that if i feel like im in danger, not just walkin down the streets and my dog gnarling at every person he sees
I mean i want him to do somethin if someone jumped off the fence at my yard, not just stand there and sniff his surroundings
Uknow, i dont want him to become aggressive, just to "act" angry

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
A well trained obedient GSD executing your commands is more intimidating to many a "bad person" than an unruly one untrained GSD. The presumption is a "well trained" dog under your command has more "tricks up its sleeve".

However, if you want to accomplish what you are asking about, here are some links to get you started.

Leerburg | Training the Non-Biting Dog to Bark at the Door

How to Teach a Dog to Bark at a Stranger | Dog Care - The Daily Puppy

Rather than use the command " speak" use a word like "guard" or something more intimidating which the person you are concerned about will hear as you issue the command.

Many techniques to get a more convincing growl or serious bark uses training methods which rely on frustrating the dog during the initial phases of the training but still marking the moment and then rewarding.

One other thought, if you choose to pursue this type of training ( utilizing frustrating the dog) you also need to train the dog to desist as quickly as the dog will obey your barking/growling command. You need an "off" command which the dog will obey as readily as your "guard" command.

You might also find as your GSD matures a bit more, he will start to exhibit more of the breed's natural guarding and alerting tendencies. He's getting close to that age and it might happen in the next 6-10 months all on its own and then you might be back here wondering how to train the dog to tune it down a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.