Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a Border Collie/American Bulldog mix. We rescued her at 4 months old and she is now 9 months old. Since we got her, we wouldn't let her run around the house unless we were in the room with her. Otherwise, we taught her to go to her crate, or her bed (which is just a pillow we bought at petsmart). Now that we trust her to let us know to go outside when she needs to, we want her to be able to move freely around the house. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Welcome to the forum..
Were is her bed now? If not in an open area I would put it in the living room. Since she was taught to go to her bed or kennel she has to see she is allowed somewhere else now. Little by little she we learn there are new rules. If she has toys maybe put some in the living room and other rooms you would like for her to go. Play with her in those different rooms. Maybe close the kennel gate so she can only go in it when you want her in it or remove it if you no longer plan on using it. :)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Spend time with her in other rooms, invite her along if she doesn't follow on her own, train/reward/play with her in those places. Make her a part of just the everyday goings on.

Did the same with Wally early on when he first arrived. Developed the same tendency (even when I'm gone, he tends to just say in my room and sleep, but he's not in a crate and not blocked from anything), and if he doesn't follow when I get up, I'll invite him along and then he follows me around and such, sniffs stuff, sniffs the carpet and floor, etc.

Another thing might be to get some more of those pillows and put them around and show here where they are. She might want to move from one to another, getting her to move around the house at the same time (assuming you don't mind her moving if you can't watch her).

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
My rescue wouldn't get off the couch for 2 weeks except to go for walks. I encouraged him by treating him heavily for exploring other rooms and following me around. It took months, but he feels comfortable everywhere but the bathrooms (he hates bathrooms, I have no idea why. We're working on it.) and will usually be where ever the action is, in the kitchen while we cook, downstairs with husband in the studio if I'm not home, in my MIL's room while she gets ready for work, etc.

He still does like the couch best, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts