Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Or is it really anger?

His name is Jao a Golden Ret/Border Collie/GSD, 1 year 1 month old and he was our only dog.

Then we have a new pup (Wacky is the name) we got last week, which is not a relative and was first time saw by Jao. And now we're having problem with Jao because it seems he gets very angry everytime we give wacky a dog food. I think he was claiming all the dog food as he was the only one whos eating it in the house until we got the puppy.

Can you guys help me teach him how to properly behave with the puppy? :eyeroll:

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
They should be fed separately. For dogs, eating in the presence of other dogs is a really tense thing. In the wild, dogs have no eating order like wolves do: It's just gobble down as much as you can, as fast as you can before you're shoved away from the food by another dog in the pack!

Although some dogs will eat with other dogs without any incident, I think it is just fairer to give them their peace while they eat. It's like expecting your kid to eat standing up at every meal: they might not complain, but they'd probably really appreciate the chance to just sit down, relax and enjoy their meal!

Further to this... They shouldn't be eating the same food anyways. Puppies do best on puppy food, which has extra fat to help a growing dog put on weight. A full grown dog will get fat eating puppy kibble.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see. Thanks for that. Yes we got a new dog food puppy, but Jao still seems to see it as his food. :eyeroll:

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Dogs have no concept of 'my food' or 'your food'. In the wild, dogs like to forage and scavenge (unlike wolves, say, who will take down large prey as a pack). So if they find something that tastes even sort of edible... That's as good as a meal to them!

The higher fat content of puppy kibble also makes it tastier to dogs. For this reason, although it's not good for regular food it makes a great training treat for adults.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Would it be possible to train the puppy to eat in a crate/enclosure so that Jao will leave him alone? Or perhaps feed them in different rooms and pick up the food after 15 minutes? I'm not sure if you free feed or not?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Our mistake was that we were putting the dog foods on a single container (though it has separation for pup and a dog) and I think Jao was used to think that only his food is put up there.

Anyways, thanks for giving advices daisylynn and kelly. I will do what you both said. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts