Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my dogs that we adopted, we think is around 1- 1 1/2, He still does this playful biting and he doesn't care how many times we say no, he doesn't care if we redirect the biting to a toy, he thinks every time we move our hand when he is biting it's "Oh lets play more" We have done everything we can think of. He doesn't go for faces it's just hands, it's not hard at all and we know it's while playing right now but we don't want it to turn into something bad.
Any Suggestions?

·
Registered
288 Posts
When he bites, say "ouch" or yelp or something, then get up and walk away and completely end play time. He will learn pretty quickly that playtime ends when he gets mouthy. The yelp won't stop him from biting, but it can become a cue that he needs to stop now or you will leave.

Reactions: RescueMomma

·
Registered
316 Posts
There are a lot of good ideas in this thread: http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/biting-mouthing-nipping-168082/

The first time I pointed to a toy and asked my dog to "get it," her whole face lit up and she grabbed hold of my hand and started chewing. I feel your pain! We play several of the games in the thread above, especially the kind that include moving my hand around with my dog getting clicked/treated for calmly ignoring it. It takes some work, but it does pay off!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.