Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there....I have an issue with my dog that I don't know how to deal with. He is an 8 month old rottweiler who listens really well, and has no food aggression or anything like that, but lately when he is outside and I go outside he jumps all over me and 'mouths' me. It has gotten to the point where I am actually quite afraid now because he is getting stronger and I am finding it more difficult to get him off me. I am looking for suggestions on how to deal with this, please.
TIA

·
Registered
662 Posts
When you go out bring a tennis ball with you and when he starts jumping up throw it and have him bring it to you and/or play tug with him, always let him win and praise him excessively when he does, then teach him to carry the tug toy in his mouth and bring it back to you. These things will help him release and channel his oral tension which is what he is displaying by jumping up and nipping at you.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
When my dogs did that I'd turn around and go back inside. That sort of behavior was NEVER rewarded with any type of attention whatsoever, so when they jumped up on me I'd simply turn around and go inside, wait 5 or 10 seconds then try again, over and over till they kept all 4 on the ground and their mouths off me. Once the had all 4 on the floor I'd heavily reward them with attention and play. My dogs learned pretty quickly to not jump. They did jump around me, which I never tried to stop, but never on me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts