Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a Lab/Newfoundland mix, his name is Charlie.

He gets really bad hot spots and i have to put the cone on his head whenever im not around to watch him. He has some how been able to manage getting around to his tail and has chewed it up pretty badly.

I have shaved the area and cleaned it really well and thought i would bandage it to keep him from getting to it. That still didn't work, he managed to chew it off and i think he may have swallowed part of it!

I don't know what else to do since i cant stop him from chewing and the cone is not working...

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Hello,

I have a Lab/Newfoundland mix, his name is Charlie.

He gets really bad hot spots and i have to put the cone on his head whenever im not around to watch him. He has some how been able to manage getting around to his tail and has chewed it up pretty badly.

I have shaved the area and cleaned it really well and thought i would bandage it to keep him from getting to it. That still didn't work, he managed to chew it off and i think he may have swallowed part of it!

I don't know what else to do since i cant stop him from chewing and the cone is not working...
Sorry about your doggie...have you determined the cause of the hot spots? Also, if you haven't already, shave them so air can get to them.

There is a "collar" on the market that is stuffed fabric that holds the dogs head in place, much more effective, sorry I don't know more, perhaps and internet search will yield one. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Dogs sure can be persistent! Have you worked with your vet to try to determine the cause of the hot spots? I know they can be caused by allergies, so if you can manage to find the allergen and eliminate it, no more hotspots.
Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts