Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Mitzi since mid June, and I think things are going really well! I feel like we've bonded and that she's happy here. The one problem is that a few weeks ago, we had an accident and she's seemed to be afraid of me ever since. She's a shih tzu, so she doesn't play much, but one day she was feeling a little playful so we chased each other around the apartment for a while. Unfortunately, at one point I came running towards her from a rather cramped spot, and instead of running away she came running towards me. I tried to step over her, but instead accidentally ended up kicking her in the face. She acted like that hurt her feelings, went and laid down and was whimpering. I tried to comfort her, pet her, and she seemed to feel better after a few minutes. Still, whenever I try to goad her into playing chase again, or even walk towards her in a not-normal way, she runs and hides under the furniture. I feel really bad that this happened. Does anybody know how I can make her stop being scared of me, or have I, like, permanently scarred her or something?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I've had Mitzi since mid June, and I think things are going really well! I feel like we've bonded and that she's happy here. The one problem is that a few weeks ago, we had an accident and she's seemed to be afraid of me ever since. She's a shih tzu, so she doesn't play much, but one day she was feeling a little playful so we chased each other around the apartment for a while. Unfortunately, at one point I came running towards her from a rather cramped spot, and instead of running away she came running towards me. I tried to step over her, but instead accidentally ended up kicking her in the face. She acted like that hurt her feelings, went and laid down and was whimpering. I tried to comfort her, pet her, and she seemed to feel better after a few minutes. Still, whenever I try to goad her into playing chase again, or even walk towards her in a not-normal way, she runs and hides under the furniture. I feel really bad that this happened. Does anybody know how I can make her stop being scared of me, or have I, like, permanently scarred her or something?
Give it time and treat her gently. Maybe no chase games for a while unless she initiated them. As an author, you should be used to seeing the world from the differing points of view of each character, put yourself in her place and act accordingly.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I don't think Shih Tzus are that into chase?
I would try some different games or maybe some new toys
Then I would buy some freeze dried chicken liver treats
Check the side of the canister for the amount per day for your dogs weight
Break them into small pieces
And use them throughout the day to reward when she interacts/plays with you in a positive way

1 - 4 of 4 Posts