Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9 year old border collie which is fantastic in every way except every once in a while she gets out of our garden and goes missing for days at a time. She has been doing this probably two or three times a year for the last six years or so.

We live in a small village and our property is surrounded by countryside and luckily our house is on a country lane, although we do have a busy road only a few yard away.

We have tried several ways to stop her, building a high fence, keeping the gate closed etc. We have a large outside space and she loves being outside.

My in laws live two fields away (we can see their house and land from our house) and she's often spotted at their place and I'm able to retrieve her. Once or twice she's actually returned of her own accord but more often than not I have to go out and look for her.

She's run off again and has been missing for three nights. The frustrating thing is that my partner was outside with her (we're in the process of laying a lawn) until 10.30pm when she dissappeared and now she has appeared at my sister's house which is over three miles away!! 80% of the time this is where she normally ends up after her escapades!! She knows the routine now and goes straight into the kennel and she's given a bowl of water only and is not fed until I pick her up and bring her home.

She never runs off when we're out for a walk even though she's off lead most of the time, I take her to rural areas mainly and she's able to run around, and she always returns when I call. I sometimes think because I allow her to be off a lead when we're on a walk it's partly the cause of her running away, she probably thinks she's allowed to roam free whenever she feels like it??

Is there anyone else having this problem?? Any tips?? Suggestions?? Anyone who thinks they have a solution please let me know because one of these days her luck will run out and she'll either be shot by a farmer, get hit by a car,get stuck in fencing etc and I probably won't find out what happened to her. This is a huge worry for me. :dog-cry:

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
717 Posts
How is she getting out of your yard? That's the question you have to answer first. Then figure out how to stop that from happening. Mine digs under the fence so I put extra proof on the lower third of the fence, got some big rocks and packed it tight.
Also is there something that triggers the running away? For example thunder makes Rusty try and run if I don't let her inside. Is it say every so many weeks? Or did something startle her, it can be tricky, but if you can find that she has a trigger(s) it becomes easier to predict her running away and thus prevent it.
Good luck, I know how you feel.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.