Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually i would take him to the park, and that really increased his dog to dog interaction but now there is a pandemic outbreak and we are on lock down i don't know what to do with him do you guys have any ideas

·
Super Moderator
706 Posts
Brain work tires dogs much more than physical activity. So take the chance to train some new tricks or play scentwork games.

For scenting you can hide food around the house, then hide scraps of material, that have been kept in a jar of of cloves, with the food so he finds both. Then hide just the material and reward with food when he finds them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brain work tires dogs much more than physical activity. So take the chance to train some new tricks or play scentwork games.

For scenting you can hide food around the house, then hide scraps of material, that have been kept in a jar of of cloves, with the food so he finds both. Then hide just the material and reward with food when he finds them.
Thank, will definitely try this
Can you still take him on regular walks or are you limited to your house?
Limited only to my house, the military is roaming the streets and questioning everybody.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Limited only to my house, the military is roaming the streets and questioning everybody.
Oh that sounds really scary, where do you live (I don’t recognize the flag)?

As Joanne previously mentioned brain work is great. I really enjoy nose work, for instance. It’s a great activity for the dog, were they get to use their brain and nose. It’s an activity you simply can execute indoors and you can adapt the level of difficulty to your dog really easily. I’m sure there’s a lot of information if you google it, but in conclusion the point is for the dog to find and mark a particular scent.

You could also try to teach the dog the name of different things or places. For example teach the different names of his toys and then ask him to bring the correct one. You could also try and teach him to go to the correct room when you say “kitchen” or “bed room”.
Then you could also train obedience or teach different tricks. Searching games like hiding toys or treats are also very easy and fun.

If you have, or can get, a yoga/gym ball is great to exercise your dog with. With this you can train your dogs muscles, balance, body control etc. If you don’t have a gym ball you can try to achieve the same effect with other balance exercises. If you happen to have a treadmill it could also be an idea to teach your dog to use that (but be very cautious and careful), especially if this situation will be going on for a long period.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts