Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a year since my first competition with Biscuit. He's come a long way, to be sure. We're in Excellent Standard (with one Q), Excellent FAST (with one Q), and Masters Jumpers (with one Q). And I would really, really like to go to nationals. I know it's a lot to expect, but I think it'll be a nice goal for me to reach toward, at least. I know only the best go there. I just hope to be among them some day. So: when is the period for qualifying for nationals? What do I need to do to qualify to attend? Does Premier get me there sooner?

Not trying to be super haughty. Just wishful thinking.

Thanks!

Reactions: Aspen726

·
Registered
574 Posts
You aren't haughty at all!! Dreaming big dreams are what agility is about. Whether you make the dream or not, the journey is the most important, and it ALWAYS makes you a stronger, better person.

The qualifications for Nationals change each year. This first link is the AKC's Nationals webpage. It is still set up for 2016 in Tulsa. It should be changing later in the year when they get more information about Perry, GA. It is going to be in Perry, GA this year. The following year, it will go back to Reno. The next year, it will be back in Tulsa, OK. Reno is a fun place to go, and I may go back to Reno. But Tulsa is usually everyone's favorite place. Nationals goes from the East to the West to the Central every three years. They always go to Reno for the West and Tulsa for the Central. This will be the first time in Perry for the East. I won't be going this year.

AKC National Agility Championship - American Kennel Club

Read on that page, and you'll get an idea of how Nationals works. It's a huge event.

The page for the 2017 National's qualifications are here:

http://images.akc.org/pdf/events/agility/national_agility_championship/2017_AKC_NAC_announce_rev4-26-16.pdf?_ga=1.247736516.2141910771.1458954779

So, to qualify for the 2017 Nationals, you need to be in the Masters class in JWW and Std. You need to have earned 550 MACH points from the Masters classes. This is pretty steep. It means if you only get 7 MACH points a Q, you need 78 Qs in one year!! If points are an issue for you, start training for speed. Look for places where you can speed up, run faster and learn how not looking back at your dog can speed him up. Most teams don't make it because of points.

In addition to points, you need 7 Double Qs. These are hard for the fast teams to get. You CAN get extra points and Double Qs through the Premier class now. For every Premier Q, you get five points. Not much of a boon really. But for every time you get a Q in Premier JWW and on that weekend or another weekend get a Premier Std. Q, it counts as a QQ. You can get three of these two Qs = 3 QQs out of the Premier class. So you can, conceivably, get three of your QQs taken care of out of Premier, leaving four "real" QQs needed.

The qualification period runs from Dec. 1 to Nov. 30. You are not yet out of Excellent in both classes, so you chances to get to Perry, GA are slim. However you might get to Reno. You do have to be willing to show a lot, because even if you get 30 speed points a Q, it still takes 18 Qs!!

I hope you go. Ohio in 2007 was my first Nationals, and wow, was that an AWESOME experience. I was over the moon to be there, and it was such a great show. It has gotten a whole lot bigger and better since then.

Here's my video of my first Nationals. The song is for you. I hope you dance in your attempt to reach the dream!!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your support! I'm going to give making it to Reno my best effort!

Reactions: jclark343

·
Registered
574 Posts
Thanks for your support! I'm going to give making it to Reno my best effort!
Woot!!! If we qualify for Reno (we struggle with QQs) and decide to go, we will have to look each other up there. I wish you the best, most fun journey whether you qualify for 2018 or not. :D

Reactions: Dogs4Jesus

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
@agilityk9trainer why no Perry? I drove past the facility 2 weekends ago not realizing that's where the Nationals are going to be. It's only 6 hours from where I live.

·
Registered
574 Posts
jclark, You have to go when Nationals are on!! If it's like Tulsa and they have room for vendors, the shopping is AMAZING!! Plus you get to see agility, obedience, Rally, etc.

I am not showing much this year. My boy Aslan is dying from renal disease. In fact, the vet is coming today to put him to sleep. :( It's a rough day at my house. I wanted to spend more time with him these last months. Also, Asher has been out due to injury and has only been to a few shows. Aenon and I are still building and focusing on training rather than heavy trialing. I've qualified for Nationals something like 11 years, and I decided this would be our year off. I shall see about next year. :) Maybe...maybe not. I'm not sure I'm up to that show schedule. It's a great event though!! If you ever get the chance to go as a spectator or as a competitor, do!!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not showing much this year. My boy Aslan is dying from renal disease. In fact, the vet is coming today to put him to sleep. :( It's a rough day at my house. I wanted to spend more time with him these last months. Also, Asher has been out due to injury and has only been to a few shows.!
I'm so sorry! :(

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
@agilityk9trainer. I give you props, it's almost a full time job to qualify. It requires a lot of work. Even if you Q'ed at every trial you entered, that's a lot of trials one has to enter (and most people don't Q at every trial they enter.) Not to mention the costs! I can only imagine!

I'm so sorry to hear about Aslan. I can imagine it's a very hard day for you. My thoughts are with you and the other boys. I also thought I remembered Asher being injured. I hope you are able to enjoy your year off without the pressure and know my thoughts are with you and Aslan. I hope he gets to run is dream course on the other side.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Thank you everyone. I am sorry I hijacked this thread. I wasn't thinking or I wouldn't have. I have a memorial video I will post in another thread. Thank you all.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@agilityk9trainer No hijacking here. You just shared why you weren't planning on nationals.

Reactions: agilityk9trainer

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@agilityk9trainer Unless I'm mistaken, this year each premier Q is worth 25 points! :eek: Did I read that right?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You CAN get extra points and Double Qs through the Premier class now. For every Premier Q, you get five points. Not much of a boon really. But for every time you get a Q in Premier JWW and on that weekend or another weekend get a Premier Std. Q, it counts as a QQ. You can get three of these two Qs = 3 QQs out of the Premier class. So you can, conceivably, get three of your QQs taken care of out of Premier, leaving four "real" QQs needed.

I saw that this year, each premier Q is worth 25 points! Did I read that right?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yes, you got it right! That will really help with the 550 points needed. We do better in Premier than regular, so I'm stoked about that. :)

Just an update, it turns out that Aenon qualified for the 2017 Nationals in Perry!! I was stunned. We went into the LAST day of the LAST trial of the qualifying period needing two QQs and points. The club offered Master Std., Master JWW and Premier JWW. As I already had earned an extra Premier Std. Q, if we qualified in ALL THREE runs on that last day, we would make it to Nationals.

Well, Aenon is still a baby at three years old. I thought there was no way, but long story short, we Qed in all three and are now planning our Nationals vacation!!! He will still be three when we go, so I don't expect anything this year. But what fun!!

Enter those Premier classes. They can really help :And good luck!!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! And congrats on making it to nationals! :D

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
@agilityk9trainer, that is awesome! One of my trainers will be there for the first time with her red merle Border Collie. If you see a Sonya and Albe give her a wave! I'll be rooting for both of you! Congrats!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@agilityk9trainer Just to clarify, in order to qualify for nationals, I need 550 points and 7 QQs, right? And I start collecting these once I'm at the Masters level, not once I have my Masters title?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Thanks jclark!! Congrats to your trainer. The first Nationals is very special. Dogs4Jesus, you got it!! The qualification period runs from Dec. 1 2016 to Nov. 30, 2017.

Reactions: jclark343

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Fun weekend: we attended 2 days of a 4- day trial, and qualified in all 6 of our runs. That includes 2 premier runs. We ended up getting 3 QQs toward nationals (2 regular, 1 premier) and 103 'nationals points'. Not bad for us - not bad at all. On Friday, we also got both High in Trial - Junior and High in Trial - All American. Oh, and Biscuit finally got his Master Jumpers title. Fun.

Reactions: MdDVM and Chas
1 - 20 of 31 Posts