Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I am a freshman at Stanford University and I am planning on graduating in three years, so 2011. In order to do this, I have to take summer classes every year to complete my 180 units of work. I really want a dog and I have had two dogs in the past. My parents have agreed that I can have a dog for my graduation present. After much research, I've decided on getting a cockapoo (my previous dogs were a schnoodle and a soft-coated wheaten terrier) and have even found a reputable breeder in my home state. I got in contact with the breeder and this summer am planning on visiting previous dogs that she has bred to make sure that this breeder and this breed of dog is really for me.

The problem is that I am so terribly impatient! I just want to graduate so I can have a dog, but that is going to take two more years and I don't know how I can stand it! Every time I talk to my mom all I want to talk about is getting a dog. I'm driving her crazy! I've gotten dog training books and have watched every cockapoo video on youtube. I know education is very important, otherwise I wouldn't be here at Stanford, but impatience is definitely my vice.

Can anyone give some advice about how I can survive waiting and accept that I have two more years to go?

Maybe hearing some stories of how long you had to wait to get your dream dog would help? My mom always says good things come to those who wait. Who knew it was this hard!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had to wait about six years before I got my first EBT boy, just do loads of research on both cocker spaniels and poodles, but please be careful when you eventually get one, and look for the best breeder that you can, and only get pups from health tested stock, although being a cross breed, this is sometimes over looked, and don't pay over the odds either :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Six years is really long!! Did you have to wait until you moved out or something?

Yes, in the meantime I will do a lot of research. The breeder I'm looking at is Fern River Pups. They are the only cockapoo breeder in my state that I could find. I think they do a pretty good job with their puppies, and the parents look very healthy and happy.

Thanks for your response!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had to wait to get one as I had to convince people that they are great loving dogs, and it didn't help that there was a **** down the road who was telling everyone that he knew that they are all cat hunters, and then when I did convince them I had no money, and then I got given one, unfornalty then it all went wrong, although I'm kind of glad that it did and it stopped any thing more sinister happening as he had a problem that the breed can suffer from.

You have to do more then just see that the parent's look happy, you will have to know through the parents being health tested, does the breeder breed cocker X poodle to cocker X poodle, or do they breed first generation crosses? And also see visit before you decide on getting a puppy and make sure that you are 100% sure that the breeder is a good one but good luck with the wait, and I'm sure that you will survive it :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts