Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing that too much exercising can be bad for a puppy's joints.
But how much is too much?

I have a very high-energy 12-week old. She is golden-lab-collie mix, who looks like a golden-lab, but has energy demands of a collie. She goes bananas:dog-crazy: if not taken for a good long walk / run for a day - as in sliding open my closet and taking out every single piece of clothing she could reach or managing to take out printer paper and chew it up.
So, I try to get her pretty tired daily, to prevent all the mischief.
But getting tired takes her a loooooong time!!!

She was barely 11 weeks when we went on a 1 hr 15 min trail walk / run, and when we got back home all she wanted to do is run around some more!:happydance:

She can sprint at an exhausting (for me) 7 min / mile pace - and she is not even 3 months old yet!

Alternating between sprinting and walking, Kippy easily goes 2 miles, and when we get back to the car, she resists going in, pulling me back to the trail.

Isn't 2 miles at a time supposed to be too much for a 12 week old pup?!

How do I know she isn't doing more than her growing joints can handle?:confused:

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Tiring a high energy dog physically isn't going to solve it sadly and at an young age pups don't known their limits and will push themselves to keep going. Mentally working a high energy dog is a lot better. You can invest in puzzle toys and work with your dog like with clicker training. Training will get your puppy thinking and training them isn't a bad thing either.My suggestion would to check out the training stickies if you are new to clicker training.

Reactions: Kippy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Kat!
I've never heard of puzzle toys for dogs... Will have to browse the local pet store and see what options they have for mental exercise. Kippy definitely needs somewhere to channel her creativity!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts