Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my poodle mix at 9 months he was under 18 lbs. You could feel his bones and the vet said he was very underweight and should be around 23 lbs. Then, at a year he was 20 lbs and a different vet said his weight was good. I brought him in recently and he is over 23 lbs at 16 months (1 yr 4months). The vet said his weight is good. I can feel his vertebrae (like over my knuckles) but I can't see any bones. The dna test said 33lbs but I know that is off.

He is not a ravenous eater. He takes his time after I put the food out. I feed him dry kibble.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Don't go by how many pounds he weighs, that's just a number, go by how he looks. At ideal weight he should have a waist when viewed from above, and his tummy should be tucked up. When you pet him and push down a bit you should be able to feel his ribs and spine, in some breeds you may be able to see a rib or two if the dog has a short, slick, coat.

Here's a sticky thread on dog's weight http://www.dogforum.com/dog-health/healthy-body-weight-guide-info-16880/

Here's two pictures of Zody my Chi x Dach, in the first he was around 2 years old and at his top weight, obviously getting fat, and the second is from this past Dec. around a month before his 5th birthday.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
To get an idea of what your dog should weigh, you could simply look it up in a table of ideal pet weights. However, nearly every table provides this important information in a range of weights — and not a specific number.

·
Registered
35 Posts
To get an idea of what your dog should weigh, you could simply look it up in a table of ideal pet weights. However, nearly every table provides this important information in a range of weights — and not a specific number.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts