Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog pees on all of the rugs in the house, and only sometimes right on the floor. He's six-months-old, fixed, a rescue, never been trained, and actually previously abused. I take him outside to do his business about every two hours and sometimes more, but he still pees inside. He was accident free for one day but he's peed pretty much every day since I got him two weeks ago. I also praise him and reward him when he goes outside, and stop him in the act when I catch him inside. I'm training him by the book. I don't know what I'm doing wrong! Anyone have any suggestions? :bashself:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Agree- remove the rugs for now. They are a pain to clean and often retain moisture and smell.

Also, make sure you have an enzymatic cleaner to remove the smell of pee. If your dog smells his pee, he thinks its a good place for him to go.

Give it more time! He's never been trained, so has 6 months of training to pee where ever to undo. At 1 month with us (and 4 months old) my little pup still pees inside 1-3 times a week.

Other options: crate train- the dog will learn that this is his space and will not pee in it unless he's desperate. Once he's comfortable in the crate, you take him outside every 2 hours (or however long he usually has in between pees), if he doesn't pee, he goes inside into the kennel (this is NOT punishment, there should be treats and things to do in the kennel. Only do this if the kennel is a happy place). Wait 10 minutes, outside again, if he pees, praise and treat like crazy. If not, repeat until he pees outside.
- teach him to ring a bell by the door when he needs to go outside and pee

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you!

Agree- remove the rugs for now. They are a pain to clean and often retain moisture and smell.

Also, make sure you have an enzymatic cleaner to remove the smell of pee. If your dog smells his pee, he thinks its a good place for him to go.

Give it more time! He's never been trained, so has 6 months of training to pee where ever to undo. At 1 month with us (and 4 months old) my little pup still pees inside 1-3 times a week.

Other options: crate train- the dog will learn that this is his space and will not pee in it unless he's desperate. Once he's comfortable in the crate, you take him outside every 2 hours (or however long he usually has in between pees), if he doesn't pee, he goes inside into the kennel (this is NOT punishment, there should be treats and things to do in the kennel. Only do this if the kennel is a happy place). Wait 10 minutes, outside again, if he pees, praise and treat like crazy. If not, repeat until he pees outside.
- teach him to ring a bell by the door when he needs to go outside and pee

Thank you! We got him a bell for the door and he pretty much taught himself to use it in about 3 days! He still piddles inside the house sometimes when I'm asleep and he needs to go or I just don't hear the bell... Also he seems to have developed a habit of ringing the bell just to play outside. But I'm working on that with the whole "only reward with treats after he does his business outside so he gets the point" thing.

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
You need to do a much better job preventing accidents.
Yes, remove the rugs.
Yes, clicker train him.
Yes, keep taking him out frequently

But also he must not have the run of the house. For now he is either in his crate, in a confined space with a baby gate, or leashed to you. You have to make it impossible for him to have an accident.

It does not matter what age he is, if he is not house trained (which is clearly the case) you treat him like a new puppy and start at the very beginning, and that means no run of the house, careful management and lots of outings with rewarded successes for potty outside.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Positive reinforcement when they do it in the right places helps, but it isn't a guarantee. My 13 year old has always been a crap shoot. He's a nervous little bugger and pees inside when he's upset about something or ticked off.
The Nature's Miracle cleaner has worked the best, but doesn't stop it completely. I also use a Bissell cleaner to clean the carpet when it happens rather than just blot it up.
Sometimes it seems like their behaviors have less to do with training and more to do with how they are feeling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.