Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older beagle and I have taken her out on a leash for most of her life so far. I've been trying to train her so that she will go outside without the leash. She will not stay close. She will start by wandering away and will keep looking back at me to see if I am still watching her. Then when she gets far enough she will run off. My dog is trained well and listens to me for everything else. Does anyone have any suggestions any information will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Beagles are notorious for following their noses. Trying to train an older beagle to recall is a bit like trying to turn the tide..high value treats and im talking chicken or cheese not some boring old biscuit, might help but even my old blind beagle would take off if he caught a scent luckily he was so slow I could catch him.... I would suggest using a long line to give your girl more freedom but not risking loosing her.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers I've tried this the past couple of days and it has worked quite well! Still a little worried at times but the cheese seems to draw her back to me.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I am glad it's helped do bear in mind that cheese is full of fat and it's quite salty so you have to be quite careful especially with an older dog would she go for some plain roast chicken that would be maybe in salt and fat but still just as tempting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts