Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to the forum. I am a real animal lover, and all of my pets are rescues. I have a male 10 month old (neutered) Black and Tan Coonhound/Bullmastiff mix, a 3 year old female Australian Cattle Dog (spayed), a 14 year female old Beagle/Hound mix(spayed), and 2 female cats(both spayed). We also have guest staying with us, one has a 2 year old male chow mix(neutered), and the other a six week old pit bull/boxer puppy.

Also I just adopted a 1 year old male Schiller hound from a shelter who was just neutered 7 days ago. The Schiller hound will attack my other dogs over food, toys, and treats. The male coonhound/mastiff that is 10 months, has never been aggressive and is jealous of the Schiller hound. The coonhound/mastiff has started going after the Schiller hound to fight and vice versa.

I do not want to get rid of my Schiller hound, but I cannot have him fighting my other dogs, making my Coonhound/Mastiff aggressive or hurting my cats. All animals are spayed and neutered except for the six week old pitbull/boxer mix, which is a male. My male Coonhound/Mastiff was the sweetest dog, before the male Schiller hound came, and it hurts to see him so aggressive and mean. Please any advice, would greatly be appreciated. Thank you, so much!!
P.S. the Schiller hound will not stop humping my Mastiff. The first few days he humped everything non-stop, is this normal?

·
Registered
4,421 Posts

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
respect on getting a rescue dog, when you have already a pubertal Mastiffmix.
Tht's a lot of work.
I'd get the dogs separated for now, but make sure you get enough

Schillerstövare are active hounds, so I would go on long walks with him... When he doesn't know it, I wouldn' try bycicle riding with him yet until you're sure you can trust him, since he can pull you off the bike and can make you fall and hurt yourself, but that could be a good ay to burn energy too.
Generally exercise him, train with him and walk with him alone without the other dogs. at least 1-2 hours a day.
having him in control and on a leash (an the leash in your hand) inside the house can help as well, since you can get him out of situations faster.
generally try to reward quiet, social adequate behaviour and positive contact with the other dogs.

Also: You sure it is a Schiller? atleast here in Germany they seem to be pretty rare. I've never seen one live. Interesting that you found one in a recue.
Cool! :D

·
Registered
265 Posts
It is A LOT of work to deal with resource guarding between dogs and it will never be 100%. you will always have to supervise the Shiller with any of your other dogs.

Honestly since you have other fairly young dogs that will be around for a long time to come I would return the new dog now and indicate that it should be in a single dog home.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
It is A LOT of work to deal with resource guarding between dogs and it will never be 100%. you will always have to supervise the Shiller with any of your other dogs.

Honestly since you have other fairly young dogs that will be around for a long time to come I would return the new dog now and indicate that it should be in a single dog home.
Yeah, I think both the Shiller and the mastiff mix would be happier that way. Not every home is right for every dog. That's okay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.