Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend has been watching my 4 year old rough/border collie mix, Leia, for over a week now while I'm out of town. Leia is house trained, but has been peeing and pooping in the house after she is walked. My girlfriend always comes home to 'accidents' after work. Leia has never really been overly playful and excited with my girlfriend, and even with me as of lately. I'm not sure if she's upset and spiteful because I'm not home, or gets jealous when we're around one another, or even both -- but we're unsure about how to solve this.

I've had my girlfriend use treats and use positive reinforcement when she urinates and poops outside (this is what I did to train Leia), but this issue is still happening.

A bit about Leia:
-She is on Proin 50g, to help with her urinary incontinence. The Vet recommended 2 a day, but I've switched to 1 a day because I noticed a drastic change in behavior (lazy, slow, not very playful), and I've seen a big difference and no urine leakage.
-She used to live in a house with 2 or 3 other dogs who were allowed to pee and poop wherever they wanted (it was disgusting). Leia lived this way for about 2-3 years before I took her in. I believe I have solved this issue with patience and consistency in positive reinforcement, but there are very, very rare instances when she'll pee in the house.

How do I get Leia to obey my girlfriend and not go in my house?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Is this the same house she stays at with you?

If it's nothing medical it can just be that she doesn't understand that she needs to wee/poo outside at the new house too. Which will mean retraining her.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Have your girlfriend take her to the vet...Just to make sure it's not a UTI or bladder infection.

Otherwise, she'll just have to be more diligent about taking the dog out. She may need to drive there during her lunch break to take the dog for a walk or have a trusted friend/family member do it. This probably isn't a "listening" problem as much as it is likely a stress problem. Collies are people dogs and they can be deeply affected when they are separated from their primary caretaker. The change in her schedule and environment, and being separated from you, could be causing odd potty habits. She's not mad at you or trying to be spiteful...She's just stressed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have your girlfriend take her to the vet...Just to make sure it's not a UTI or bladder infection.
She has urinary incontinence, so she's already on Proin, which helps her maintain more control.

Otherwise, she'll just have to be more diligent about taking the dog out. She may need to drive there during her lunch break to take the dog for a walk or have a trusted friend/family member do it. This probably isn't a "listening" problem as much as it is likely a stress problem. Collies are people dogs and they can be deeply affected when they are separated from their primary caretaker. The change in her schedule and environment, and being separated from you, could be causing odd potty habits. She's not mad at you or trying to be spiteful...She's just stressed.
My girlfriend would walk her for long periods of time, and she'd urinate just a little bit, or not at all, and once they came back into the house, Leia would just urinate in the house. It's a bit strange. Leia tends to come near or cuddle with me, and just stare at my girlfriend while she's with me, almost as if she's being territorial... I can tell that my dog is extremely attached to me, and it also seems like she has some anxiety issues (due to her previous owner, who was my ex). She gets scared somewhat easily, and doesn't like to play with other dogs unless they're a third of her size. She's a peculiar one, but I love her nonetheless.

Now that I'm back home, she has been back to normal, but I would really like to create some sort of trust between Leia and my girlfriend, to the point where Leia will view her as her secondary owner...

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Do you have a phrase you use to let your dog know it's time to go? If so, does your girlfriend use it? You may not realize that you do it, but your dog might be trained to it. For example, I say "go pee pee outside" whenever we go out. Dogs can have a hard time generalizing info to new situations. Keep everything as similar as possible between how you and gf do things...from the route you take, the leash you use, the words you say.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
You can also try having your girlfriend become more involved in Leia's daily care and training. Does your girlfriend feed her? Take her out when you're home? Train her? Those types of things can help create a bond between a person and a dog.

If Leia doesn't respond to your girlfriend at all or seems anxious around her, then take a step back. Have your girlfriend drop treats near Leia and slowly work up to Leia taking treats from her hands. Heavily reinforce any interaction between Leia and your girlfriend even if it's very minor. Eventually, Leia should think, "Wow, that girlfriend always has yummy treats / plays ball the way I like / pets me in just the right spot. I really like her." That might help her feel more comfortable and reduce her anxiety and accidents when you're away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have a phrase you use to let your dog know it's time to go? If so, does your girlfriend use it? You may not realize that you do it, but your dog might be trained to it. For example, I say "go pee pee outside" whenever we go out. Dogs can have a hard time generalizing info to new situations. Keep everything as similar as possible between how you and gf do things...from the route you take, the leash you use, the words you say.
Yeah, I use "do you wanna go for a walk?" - I think it's just the word "walk" that gets her excited, but either way, that's what I say. My girlfriend does the same, as far as I know. Same leash, same routes, and same phrases ("go pee, Leia, go pee", followed by positive reinforcement). I'll make sure that the both of us are consistent with it. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can also try having your girlfriend become more involved in Leia's daily care and training. Does your girlfriend feed her? Take her out when you're home? Train her? Those types of things can help create a bond between a person and a dog.

If Leia doesn't respond to your girlfriend at all or seems anxious around her, then take a step back. Have your girlfriend drop treats near Leia and slowly work up to Leia taking treats from her hands. Heavily reinforce any interaction between Leia and your girlfriend even if it's very minor. Eventually, Leia should think, "Wow, that girlfriend always has yummy treats / plays ball the way I like / pets me in just the right spot. I really like her." That might help her feel more comfortable and reduce her anxiety and accidents when you're away.
Typically when I have my girlfriend over, I'll take care of Leia 90% of the time. I don't want my girlfriend feel like she's coming here and has to take care of my responsibilities, although she does offer to help.

You're right though, having my girlfriend do those things while I'm present might make Leia feel more comfortable, and help create a stronger bond between them. Thanks for advice! We'll work on it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts