Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One day I went to the pound with my friend. I had been thinking of getting a dog but not taking the idea seriously, and then I saw the cutest little feller. He was in a kennel with two other dogs, just kinda hanging out in the background wagging his tail. I don't know what it was about him, but I just knew he was for me, and I bought him. He was white and little and super friendly and energetic so I named him Casper. He ended up being the perfect companion and I loved him so dearly... however something tragic happened when I left him with my mom. She apparently is too senile to watch a hyper dog and he got ran over by a car while she was putting up Christmas lights.

Ever since then I've just been so lost. I go to the pound to check for dogs every week but I never feel the same about him. The pound in my area was very rude to me when they found out my dog died so I really don't want to get another dog there anyway..

The type of dog I'm looking for would have some very specific, important qualities that Casper dog had, so I was even looking into buying a purebred that is known for those qualities. But it has been impossible to find a breeder. All the websites that have purebred puppies for sale seem to be scams.

Does anyone know where I can find puppies for sale?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
contacting the respective national member club of the FCI for the breed can be a good beginning, but generally take your time and do your homework when searching for a breeder.
better search 2 years for a good breeder than support a breeder that seems somewhat fishy.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I think I got a little bit of a problem with calling a living being perfect.
i gives way to much importance the purchase of the animal in my opinion.
Yes of course, you've got to find one that works with your family and style of life, but there probably thousands of such dogs in this world that would make a good fit.
And they don't need to be perfect in my opinion. every living being comes with their own set of quirks, personality and needs and while they could be a great friend this doesn't mean they've got to be fit perfectly.

Also: no breeder can give you a guarantee, that their puppy is perfect for you. it depends for a big part on you and how you train, care and exercise your dog.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I agree, I don't think any dog will perfectly fit your situation. Even a dog that fits well is going to have issues. And no matter the breed, every puppy is different, and has their own personality. Some you mesh with, some you don't. I think it's more in how you raise it. All three of my dogs were impulse rescues, and all are very different, but fit well with my lifestyle and any issues we just work through.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
You need very carefully define what characteristics you want in a dog, size, general behavior characteristics, do you want one that does not shed, and the approximate age of the dog you are looking for. My wife and I spent a year or so talking about acquiring a dog, we were very specific, about what kind, general appearance, we knew we did not want a puppy, but a dog that was maybe a year or two, old, we knew we wanted one that did not shed and more. We looked for quite a long time, and found a dog in the local shelter that we thought we liked. We spent a lot of time with the shelters behaviorist, she talked to us and watched the interactions between the dog and my wife and I. She told us she thought she, the dog, would be a very good match for us. We adopted Samantha six years ago, (almost) and she is a close to perfect as possible. Both my wife and I love her, she is well adjusted, well behaved and everyone that meets her loves her. She is a 16 pound poodle/bischon mix, she was a little more than a year old when we got her, so she is about to turn seven. So the advice here, is spend as much time as it takes to KNOW what you want, can take care of, and can tolerate. Its so worth it, if you get the right dog, we can not imagine life without Samantha, she is absolutely family.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts