Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Just a newbie asking a question. :)

My dogs Anna and Budoy are named after characters of shows...usually I named my pets after someone or something with the same characteristics.

Anna came from the movie Frozen...I had her the first week of December of last year...optimistic, talkative, and adventurous just as the character. Believe it or not she wants to build a snowman...(sadly we live on an island)

Budoy a Filipino drama with the quote "be happy be Budoy!" I don't find his named offensive...a dog owner actually sneered at me for the name. But why should I care? Has she seen the series? Lol

:eek::eek: image.jpg

·
Banned
804 Posts
Think there is another thread like this but is a fun thread!

Roman is named so he can be that "great" dog we want.
Romano cheese as he is a foodie.
Romeo of us ladies... And very much of an expressive dog that tried its best to communicate as if like the Japanese romantic language... Romaji.

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
Went to a New Years Eve party and won a Harley Davidson throw,
I knew I was going to get another Shepherd, so I thought Harley!

Should have been named Lamb Chop, he was so sweet.
Still missing him.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
"Calypso" is several wonderful things: a mythological creature, a music genre that reminds me of warm things (...it's Caribbean), Jacques Cousteau's famous ship. I like them all.

My Calypso, however, is very specifically named for the nymph-goddess in the Odyssey, who saves Odysseus/holds him captive and then denounces all of Greek mythology as sexist. In a poem written basically three millennia ago.

I had a short list of several names, and as soon as I met little baby Calypso, I knew it was the right choice. :)

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
All my dogs are named after cities. Nola started it simply because I like New Orleans and it fits her dramatic, crazy and quirky personality, and I wanted to keep a theme. Hardly anyone guess correctly though.
Nola is New Orleans, LA.
Augustine is St. Augustine, FL.
Boston is Boston, MA.
Phoenix is Phoenix, AZ.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: Lunarpaws

·
Registered
72 Posts
I named my dog after a character that I had used in a story that I wrote. I don't remember where I originally saw the name Harlow, I'm sure I found it someplace on the internet. I just really liked it because I've rarely heard the name used.

Surprisingly for a nickname I've never called her Harley.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Fetch was named after a yellow lab beanie baby I had when I was five, and Susie Q already came with/knew her name at 4 months old, so we didn't change it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My first dog, an elegant husky/lab mix, was named "Taco" when we got him from the shelter. Ugh! We changed it to "Jip," the name of a character in a book I was reading as an 11-year-old at the time.

My current dog, Belle, came from the shelter with that name. My sister wanted to keep it; it's a little too girly for my tastes, but I think it suits her now.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I had a list of names when I got my puppy. Unfortunately, suddenly they all sounded stupid ad all the pretty names were already in use around me. I was thinking about keeping her work-in-progress name and prepared to explain it for everyone wondering such a weird name.

I called my parents and aunt to tell that I had a dog now. I did not ask for it and I was not very fond about the whole idea, but they started to suggest names. I was adamant I have to find a name for my pup on my own.

One of the suggestions was probably Ava. I find it pretty, but a little ominous (agility title around here). I kept rolling it on my tongue and started playing with letters. So I hit Alva. It was pretty and not in use among dogs or people I knew. I decided to add it to the list and find other choices for names. Well. It stuck when I found no competitors, so Alva it was.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Naming your dog Pip is just a really obtuse way to name him "Spot," as the spots on dice are called pips. And if ever a dog cried out to be named spot, he did... but Pip is cuter.

Maisy... honestly I just wanted a girly name but not super common so I just looked at baby name lists until I found one that struck my fancy. Now I see Maisys (or Maizie or Maisie or Mazy or on and on) everywhere.

Squash came named Squash. His litter was born the week of Thanksgiving and the puppies' temporary names were all pumpkin pie and/or Thanksgiving dinner related. I like it and it suits him so well that I decided to keep it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Flora is named for the little girl on The Piano, one of my favorite movies. She is sweet, but outspoken and likes attention, just as the character is :) As for Arlis: he was named for the little brother in Old Yeller. Maggie, I am not sure what or who she was named for, since we adopted her less than a year ago and she came with that name.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
32 Posts
I named Pipsqueak by "accident" as I had a Great Pyrenees mix at the time, and she is (best guess) a min pin mix. London is named after Jack London, not the city like most assume.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I've only ever had rescue dogs & the last 2 were unclaimed strays & so were given a name by the rescue, as they had only just gotten used to their names I hadn't the heart to change it, my current dog is called Betsy & although that's not a name I would have chosen, it's absolutely her & I love it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Originally mom wanted to name Mollie Milly-Molly-Mandy, but we figured that was too long. We didn't want to be going, "Here, Milly-Molly-Mandy! Good girl, Milly-Molly-Mandy!" all the time. Plus some people in the family thought it was just a slightly strange name. So we shortened it to Molly, and because we're Scotch-Irish we threw in the "ie" for good measure. Ta-da! Mollie.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Jasper is named after "Jasper" in the Twilight books (I hate the movies), who, for those who know nothing about the character, has the power to control emotions. I was reading the books when I got him. I had been really depressed, and when I got him, he brightened my world.

When my friend who adopted Dixie gave her to me, she was name "Chessie" but that was too close to my nickname "Jessie". I decided on the name Dixie because she was/is a rebellious, hardheaded, brat. Lol A really good comparison to the rebellious teenage daughter character, "Dixie" in Toby Keith's Broken Bridges movie.

Todd is named after the fox in The Fox and the Hound. Lol Simply because he looks like a little fox.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The list of all my pet names I have owned is kind of long. I guess I have no rhyme or reason . . . but mainly movies.

Copper (First Dog - yorkie pomeranian mix) - Fox and the Hound movie. He looked like todd the fox, but I like the hound name better.
Morpheus (cat), Neo (cat), and trinity (ferret) - Matrix obsession. In retrospect, naming 2 female cats after males may have been mistake. lol
Logan (ferret) - Wolverine from X-Men. Well, we liked that character and they are kind of related.
Snake (what else? the snake) - Not very creative, but easy to remember and based off Escape from New York.
Domanic (Black Lab) - Fast and the Furious - Vin Diesel. We went back and forth between domanic or diesel.
Alexis/Lexi (Shepherd Mix) - Love the name and it means protector of mankind.
Sonic (what else? the hedgehog) - Not very creative. Enough said.
Raku (Bengal Cat) - Looked like a Cheetah, picked Swahili name.
Bindi (Bengal Cat) - Looks like snow leopard - crocidile hunter daughters name and I liked it.
Loki (Husky) - He looks a little devilish and it was between a bunch of names meaning white, wolf, or gods. In retrospect, wish we picked something else as I never knew how many others picked this name for dogs. The names we sometimes wish we would have gone with - damon, cloud, or ghost.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.