Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had 7 dogs, and never really had a problem with them pulling on the leash.

But the one I have now, the one called "Rex" I had alot of problems walking on the leash, he pulled all the time and it even stated hurting my shoulders walking with him. This takes away the joy of walking your dog, at least for me it does.

What I did that finally worked for me was to switch the collar to a special harness that you attach the leash down on the chest instead of around the neck, and almost instantly as I switchted to this he stopped pulling and calmed down.

What has worked for you? You got any specific technique that has worked for you and your dogs?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I teach focus and impulse control as foundations skills and those two things help a lot since they help with automatic check-ins and also distractions. I also teach the dog that hitting the end of the leash (feeling any leash pressure really) is a cue to look up at me. I teach the dog to follow me where I move.

I find people should go through foundation skills in order to make the best use of methods such as "be a tree" and "penalty yards" and giving treats to a dog for being in the correct position--a common mistake for this one is giving the treat to a dog for not pulling, wherever the dog may be. I keep my treats close so the dog stays close to the correct position. Correct handling of the leash is also important. I see very often, people say their dog pulls when the one pulling and yanking the leash is the person.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I take it the link in your signature for "five free videos from a top trainer" was not particularly helpful in your case?

What training methods have you employed with this dog so far?

Kikopup has a bazillion free videos available for dog owners to learn from, just google kikopup and loose leash, and silky leash. Zak George is pretty good too, again, free.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I just had to not give my dog what he wanted (to move along) until he was at my heel. Every time he pulled ahead, it was 'uh, oh!' and back to the beginning.
If the special harness works fine, just keep using it.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Using a house leash helped, because he got used to the leash and the length of the leash. It became normal for him to be leashed and stay in a certain radius.
Stopping (play "I'm a tree") or changing direction when he was starting to pull helped too.
generally I tried to bring his attention (cue "look!" and reward when he looks at you, until he knows that focusing on you is rewarding) back to me, before he started to really pull.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
At them moment I'm doing a few things.

He's learned that my saying Yes! means that a treat is coming, so when I say I reward him I always tell him yes before I do so. Yes is said as he's doing the behavior so he knows it's what got him the treat.

I reward him for checking in with me, glancing back at me.
I reward him for voluntarily staying by my side.
I'm teaching him Let's Go so I'm able to lead him away from stuff.
He knows Wait and I use that if I need him to pause for a second before continuing where ever he wanted to go. The reward for waiting is going to where he wanted or sniffing what he wanted.

So far he's doing a lot better during out daytime walks. I know he's doing a lot better because the brat knows the difference between night and day and while he's good during the day he's horrible at night. He's horrible at night because I've never really worked with him on leash manners after dark.

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I take it the link in your signature for "five free videos from a top trainer" was not particularly helpful in your case?

What training methods have you employed with this dog so far?

Kikopup has a bazillion free videos available for dog owners to learn from, just google kikopup and loose leash, and silky leash. Zak George is pretty good too, again, free.
The 5 videos in my signature does not cover walking on the leash, it covers other problems :)

Well I have tried clickver training, using treats to try and get him to focus on me, I have tried with toys, I have tried different leashes/collars, I have tried the "start-stop" method where you stop every time the dog pulls and wait until he stops pulling. Nothing gave any results.

But the harness Im using now works like a charm :)

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
The 5 videos in my signature does not cover walking on the leash, it covers other problems :)

Well I have tried clickver training, using treats to try and get him to focus on me, I have tried with toys, I have tried different leashes/collars, I have tried the "start-stop" method where you stop every time the dog pulls and wait until he stops pulling. Nothing gave any results.

But the harness Im using now works like a charm :)
i think the main thing to do is being consistent.
give it a few weeks or months of time, especially when the dog is still young (especially when it a dog in puberty. they "forget" things very easily and everything else is distracting).
you shouldn't only do leash training when you're walking him.
You should do leash training, every wake moment you and the dog are together.
that why I recommended house leashing.
Have the dog on the leash, inside the house, outside the house, always except a bit of running in a safe area perhaps.

the same behaviour should always have the same consequences (I'm not talking about P+ of course.).
be consistent.
be predictable.
It gives your dog security, makes your dog feel safe so it can relax and trust you and a relaxed, happy, trustful dog is more likely to be able to learn than a nervous or stressed dog.
make also sure to not change methods too fast.
some people make that mistake and it is confusing for the dog.

Reactions: edlund88
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.