Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use some tips on socializing a puppy with larger dogs.
Amo is just over 3 months and around 35lbs he technically shouldn't be going into the smaller half of the dog park. The limit for that half is 25lbs but no one has asked me to move since he's still a puppy.

But he's growing so fast I need to switch over very soon. The problem is he is still uncoordinated and ends up getting bullied when other dogs play too rough. He goes up to most dogs on his own but changes his mind and becomes afraid as soon as they tackle him or run at him just in a playing way.

I don't want him to become fearful or aggressive so I'm wondering if there are some tips to socializing him with larger dogs in a way that makes it a good experience. He doesn't mind large dogs in general, infact he loves older calmer dogs. And small dogs he just ignores while they bounce all over him, and he plays a little.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would only let him play with the larger dogs when not too many are at the park when you go. If there is a lot of big dogs, they all could easily rush up to your puppy and scare him. If there's a smaller amount of large dogs, I would let him go play and if things get too rough, then remove him from the large dog area.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I agree with the previous comment. You could also arrange playdates with people who you know have well-behaved larger dogs. That way, it's easier to control a situation than at a dog park.

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
I'm not a fan of dog parks. I have a few friends with dogs bigger than my girl and we arrange play dates. My dog is only about 38 lbs and not going to grow anymore. If you don't have friends with dogs, meetup.com is a good resource.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have many friends with dogs, especially narrowed down to larger dogs. My other issue is the off leash exercise. Off leash is by far the best way I found to get them the exercise they need and there are a few other places that allow dogs but not many that are as close as I'd like

·
Registered
279 Posts
Find out if there is a puppy playtime near you.
I used to take Jasmine to two different ones. she loved it, its usually dogs all under one year old, varying sizes. They are all uncoordinated, but there isn't too much rough play with all puppies usually.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.