Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm so glad I came across this forum. I hope I may get some answers to some questions I've had for many many years now. I had a dog, his name was Jumbo, who died somewhat inexplicably many years ago. It really bothers me because I don't know how he got so sick. It progressed rather rapidly, within the span of a few months. He did not get any formal diagnosis from the vet, any tests were just too expensive for my family, but he did receive some antibiotic medication.

Jumbo is a miniature schnauzer, pretty sure he's a mixed breed. He was 8 years old when his symptoms appeared. Here are the main symptoms I can remember in chronological order:
-Sore paw leading to trouble walking
-Ear and eye infection with discharge. His ears were very painful.
-Black skin with velvety texture, bad odour from the skin and hair loss in some places where the skin is black
-Low energy, very lethargic
-Loss of appetite
-Heart palpitation and collapsing after some physical activity (nothing strenuous, usually walking or climbing stairs)

When Jumbo would collapse, he would still be conscious. But it was like his body just didn't have the energy to take him anywhere. We could feel his heart beating very fast in those instances.

Jumbo died one morning when he was going out to pee. He walked slowly to where he usually goes but turned around and returned home. He slowly climbed the stairs to the front door and collapsed upon entering the living room, and that's where he passed away. It seemed painless, almost as if he fell asleep.

I'm not sure how relevant this is, but shortly before all these symptoms appeared, Jumbo did get his regular immunization. There may be no link but I'm trying to put in as much info as I can remember.

Thank you for reading

·
Registered
402 Posts
I think it would be hard even for a veterinarian to say. I'm not a doctor and have limited medical knowledge but from your description, I would say that the blackening of the skin was likely acanthosis nigricans. This can be related to a number of underlying medical conditions such as cancer or diabetes. Given the other symptoms you listed, if I had to make a wild guess then my guess would be something like stomach cancer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate your response. It is hard to know for sure, but I'm hoping this forum may help shed some light. Thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts