Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some trick training with my puppy since I got him, even more so since he's been in obedience(just basic for now). He is very smart and catches on to things pretty quickly, as long as it's not LL walking haha. He knows 14 tricks or behaviors right now and he'll do them almost always when asked, he just doesn't seem as enthusiastic about them as some other dogs.
I see a lot of videos around of dogs performing tricks and I was wondering how I could get my puppy to be as enthusiastic about tricks as some of these dogs are? Is that really dependent on breed(Almost all of the really pro dogs are aussies or BCs)? Or could his young age have something to do with it? Is he getting bored of doing tricks he knows well? :ponder:
All advice welcome!

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
My girl and I LOVE to train tricks! :)

Tricks are fun from start to finish. First, I say, "wanna go to work?" in a really happy, excited voice. This kind of sets the tone for the session. I take out some really yummy treats and toss her a couple before I even ask for anything. I start the session with a couple of basic obedience commands, move on to a couple of tricks that she knows then I start something new and always end with something she knows well. This training isn't as 'serious' as obedience. I always try to incorporate something new to keep her from getting bored. She gets lots of reinforcement. Like your dog, she is very smart and learns quickly so I need to keep incorporating new tricks or bigger distractions to keep this fun and exciting. I'm a member of a group on FB called "Tricks and Training" and there are many different breeds on there excelling. I definitely wouldn't say tricks are breed specific. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.