Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, can anyone tell my our little man is pure breed? He come with no papers and only shown pictures of mum and dad, never actually met them but I couldn't leave him were he was. He has the characteristics such as nose always down sniffing everything, very loud bark and does howl, his also been hard to train and is a scavenger. He is quite thin(being fed enough and no grain food) and not stocky like beagles I have seen. And one lady asked when we were walking him the other day if he was crossed. I'm not so sure but what do people think he is 6 months old. iv posted some pictures :) oh and also if anyone has any tips to help me stop him eating his own poo that would be great :)

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Without an approved pedigree there is no way of telling if the dog is purebred or not. It can look like a purebred and still be mixed. I understand that you wanted to take him away from where he was but I’m sad to say that you’ve probably contributed to a very bad industry. Bad back yard breeding or in worst case puppy mills.

First of all, don’t let him near his poo. Pick it up as soon as he poops. If he start eating it, distract him with a toy/treat or take him away from there. Call him to you and give him a treat/toy and then establish a command as “leave it”. You can train this with other stuff as well, put something on the floor that he wants to eat/take and then call him, showing him a reward that he values higher than whatever is put on the floor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thankyou, I don't let him near his poo intentionally, we have a cat flap he sneaks out of, sometimes carnt be helped i was hoping he would grow out off it, but will just keep doing what I'm doing, vets mentioned a muzzle but I'm not Kean on that idea.

·
Super Moderator
437 Posts
Ok thankyou, I don't let him near his poo intentionally, we have a cat flap he sneaks out of, sometimes carnt be helped i was hoping he would grow out off it, but will just keep doing what I'm doing, vets mentioned a muzzle but I'm not Kean on that idea.
I wouldn't recommend a muzzle for a poo eater, it just means something else disgusting to be cleaned! A friend swears by a spoonful of live yoghurt added to his food - a dessert spoon would be about right for a beagle. Can't do any harm to try.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts