Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have a two year old female standard poodle. I am having a couple of issues at the moment.
One is she has developed this behavior of jumping up on our doors. How can I train her to not do this (I'm afraid she will go through the glass). She only jumps on the window when there are birds at the feeder or squirrels sitting on our patio wall. Any ideas on how I can fix this behavior?

Another behavior she has developed is chasing cars down the driveway. Although we live in a rural area, the road at the end of the driveway does have some traffic and the speed limit is pretty fast. I've tried distracting her with throwing a ball as the person is driving away but she usually chases after the car and I'm left screaming/running to the top of the driveway at her to come back. When she comes back (30-40% of the time) I praise her but I wish I could train her to not bolt. How can I do this? I'm considering a shock collar (I've found some that have a series of settings before the actual shock, ex. Vibration setting) but considering her past (very shy, did not trust anyone) I do not want her to resort back to her old self again as we have spent a lot of time getting her to this point of trusting us and not being afraid of everything and everyone.
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Don't stoop to using a shock collar. Keep her on a leash! At least for a while, while you're training this behaviour out of her. She won't be able to get very far, you'll have more luck catching her attention and drawing her back to you, and you can reward, reward, reward. Gradually you can make the leash longer and eventually get rid of it again as she becomes more trustworthy and learns not to bolt.

Screaming and running after her is definitely not going to convince her that stopping/coming back is a fun option. You need to make staying by your side more awesome than chasing cars is.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I second not using the torture collar. Poodles are very energetic, but if our half miniature poodle and half bischon is an indication, at 3 or 4 years they start calming down a lot. Meanwhile, to keep her safe, if it were me and despite your living a rural setting, I would suggest keeping her on a (long) tether or in a run, while the training continues. The last thing you want is for her to become a road casualty.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
poodles can be crazily active. they're like bouncy rubber balls...you give them a little nudge and they jump around like crazy. :D
you sure she's got enough mental and physical stimulation?
my strategy would probably be to make her tired and parallely train impulse control and settling down with her.
there are some nice training exercises you can find on youtube...i like kikopup for example.
leash training and house leashing can also help with control over the dog.

for a fast fix, while you're training I'd try to block the view with some piece of cloth so she can'T see the birds and squirrels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts