Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We started training our 15 week border collie/beagle puppy to walk on our local rail trail just a few days ago. We thought it would be a great spot for socializing him, as you will meet all kinds of people and animals - joggers, families, dogs, deer, chipmunks, and bicyclists. We wanted him to be safe around bicyclists, and we're also training him to sit to meet new people so he doesn't jump up. So, we had him sit and stay on the side of the trail when people or bikes approached. At first, everything went well. By the end of our first trip down the trail, he was sitting, staying, and waiting for bicyclists and walkers to pass. He would sit and wait for dogs and kids and people to approach (everyone wants to pet him, which is great, and not great, ya know?). We praised him to the skies. Random strangers said "good dog" when they flew by on bikes. One woman walking her dog was positively shocked that he sat on command. Yay, right?

Until the past two days, when we headed to the trail. And the SECOND he saw a person, a bike, a dog? Sit. Stay. Complete refusal to move. Without a command from us, mind. And the poor little guy is all confused that we're not praising him to high heaven. But he can see people coming from a football field away, and there we are, waiting and waiting for people to pass before he will respond to "ok" and move again.

So how do we get him to keep walking until WE tell him to sit? We don't want him running in front of a bike by accident - they move FAST on that trail - we have a velodrome and plenty of racers training. We don't want him to jump up on little kids, or a person who's scared. But we don't want him to sit on his butt everytime he sees someone coming, either!

(Yeah, I know, sounds like he's outsmarting his trainers. That's why I'm looking for help!)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both great ideas, thanks! We'll refrain from praising anticipated commands, and work on a "walk" command. I'm guessing we can teach that with treats to get him to start walking, or by repeating the word while he walks, like we did with "go potty", right?

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I use a very cheerful "let's go!" When Levi is lingering too long at a bush, then click and reward when he's walked with me a few steps. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.