Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi! I have a wheaten terrier who was a breeder dog. She is scared of everything. I've had her for two years and she is opening up but she also is still very docile. She just lays around, gets scared at any bang, she won't go for a walk, or will not eat treats for motivation to move. She's finally starting to come up to the table when it's in a clear shot of where she is laying but only if it is just me. One of the problems is that she will not go to the bathroom outside unless it is at a dog park, and mainly that is seeing if she can leave early. I've gotten her trained with pads which work but I don't know if there are any suggestions. I have loved her for two years and nothing is going to change that, I just want to find ways to make her happier? Does anyone have any ideas? I have been thinking about anxiety meds but I am scared if she gets calm, it won't get her up and moving? She may need it but would it impact her life more than what's going on now?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I had a similar experience of rehoming an older ( 4 year old) dog who was really timid and wouldn’t go on walks and barely made a sound. I found after two years she started to become more assertive and is now noticeably happier and really playful. It took longer than I expected so hopefully you will have a similar experience. It’s worth discussing medication with your Vet as I wouldn’t assume that anxiety meds would lead to inactivity. If they are right for your dog they might have the opposite effect. Or perhaps a thunder shirt?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much, I am just trying to find the best way to help. This is my first dog so not only am I learning how to have a dog for the first time but with this, it's still new. I will try and get into the vet. I've tried a thunder shirt and am still using it for different occasions, it stops her from shaking a bit but doesn't have a huge effect.

·
Super Moderator
4,187 Posts
Definitely speak to the vet. Meds have come a long way since the time when something to calm turned the recipient into a zombie.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts