Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very small 6 month old chihuahua/dachsund mix that does not eat enough. I have had him for a few months and his small appetite for his dry food has remained. I have tried switching dog food brands and now only feed high quality dog food. He is currently on Blue Buffalo life-source formula and was previously on Wellness Super 5 Mix. He seems to have possibly liked the Wellness more so I am thinking about switching to that again but even when he was on that she did not eat enough. I have heard about the saying that puppies should eat 3x a day but he cant even a finish a full bowl in one day! The only way I can get him to finish all in one day is if I hand-feed him but even then she eventually gets tired of it.......Oh yeah this should probably be noted. I have tried telling them to stop but my parents insist on giving her table scraps and some cooked meat every now and them. She always eats that stuff. I also know that one of her littermates is way bigger and taller than she is.

·
Registered
105 Posts
How much is a full bowl? One of my dogs isn't a big eater and never has been, even when she was a puppy. She probably eats 1/2 a day, if that. Dogs will eat when they're hungry, and she's a small breed, you'd be surprised how little they can eat.

Put her food down for 15 minutes at meal time, if she doesn't eat it, pick it up and try again at the next meal time. Dogs will not starve themselves. Has the vet seen her lately ?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A full bowl how I was thinking of it as just a bowl with food covering the bottom. Not deep or alot at all. Really not much in the bowl. And no the vet has not seen her recently although she will soon as we going to get her spayed soon.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
As stated, dogs won't starve themselves unless they are sick. It is possible that she's just not hungry. Some days my pup eats more or less than other days and I just go with the flow. Pups need more or less depending on their activity that day and if they are going through a growth spurt or not. I wouldn't worry too much and if you are that worried, see the vet. :)

Reactions: Sithis98

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay then thanks guys, I do understand they do not starve themselves so she really must eat a very little amount! It just...really worried me with how big her brother is. Perhaps her brother received more of the dachshund genes and mine was more chihuahua? (They are chihuahua/dachshund mixes)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Chase skips meals now and then. Sometimes he doesn't even finish one whole meal a day! Then he will stuff his face the next day and beg for more, haha!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hi , if your schedule permits you could also try scheduled feeding .
Like 1/8 cup 3 or 4 times a day .
When my Yorkie was a pup I fed him 4 times a day till he was 4 months ..
I know this does not work for everyone though.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Do you use her food as training treats? If so, she may be full. If not, you could try to get a few extra morsels in her that way.
Also, if she eats table scraps, she might be getting enough between that and her regular feedings. Not commenting if that is a good thing or not, but it might be why she isn't as hungry for her kibble as you think she should be.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
As long as your vet says she's a healthy weight for her size and age, I wouldn't worry.

I was afraid my puppy (4 months old) wasn't eating enough, but he's growing like a weed. In a span of two weeks he went from 6 lbs to almost 10 lbs, and his eating is sporadic.
Have you considered crating her or putting her away in a separate room while your family eats? Maybe ask yout family to use that food to train with her rather than simply feeding it to her for no reason. I noticed that my puppy didn't eat much when he got a Kong stuffed with frozen pumpkin, so I eliminated the pumpkin until he's eating more reliably.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Food requirement is based on the age and weight of the dog..... My Pup is 11 mos now, and based on his weight of 20 lbs(mini schnauz) the puppy food container states 1- to 1 3/4 cups daily. I give him one cup(dry kibble) half in the morning and half in the evening. He would eat more, but he will become over weight.he is probably slightly over now, but as a growing pup I will let it go for a while. How much does your doggy weigh? and then base your food on that. I look at a cup of food, doesn't seem like much at all but considering his size..Its enough. Unless he is under weight I wouldn't worry. Refer to the weight guide on the home page here for dog health.

·
Registered
34 Posts
MEASURE! Your dog food container should give you suggested serving size based on age and weight of the puppy
....I ALWAYS used a measuring cup because it's so easy to overfeed.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Why do you think your puppy needs to eat more? Is he losing weight or is he to thin?

How much are you feeding and how much is he actually eating? Measure the food and let us know. A Chi x Dach needs very little food. My old bag of Merrick dog food (yeah I still can't bring myself to toss it, don't know why LOL) says to feed a 6 lb dog 1/2 cup of food, personally I'd probably feed a little less to account of any treats that are fed, and dog food companies love to suggest feeding more then the dog actually needs.

If your boy isn't under of overweight, and is eating, then I wouldn't fret about it, just keep an eye on his weight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts