Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, I am here look for some advice on walking my 11 year old border collie mix Lacy. She is full of energy and still acts like she is a puppy.

We recently just moved to a larger property by the water and she loves it. But... she has started some new behaviors that she has not ever done before. For example today I was walking her and she kept pulling all over the place and almost pulled me over. But she doesn't pull as much when we walk home, I am guessing she has gotten some of her energy out. Then another new behavior that she has never done before is jumping on strangers not in a aggressive way but, sort of saying "Hello" way. She did this to a person running by us.

And to top it all off she completely ignores me whenever I call her name or give her a command.

I walk her with a easy walk harness and a rope leash.

Does anyone have some helpful advice?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I always start (every) training with this:

Cut some sausage into small pieces and put a few of them in your mouth. Then say to your dog "look" and at the Moment she looks at you, take one out of your mouth and give it to her. Do this a few times, a few times a day for about a week. Then start to wait a little before you give her the piece of sausage, at first only a second, than more and more but always in small steps.
With this method she will learn to look in your face and to concentrate on you and you can see if she's concentrated.

Later you can use the command "look" so that she walks proberly at your side. Because she is then concentrated on you, she can't look at other people.

The advantage of this; your dog will not know if you have sausage in your mouth or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always start (every) training with this:

Cut some sausage into small pieces and put a few of them in your mouth. Then say to your dog "look" and at the Moment she looks at you, take one out of your mouth and give it to her. Do this a few times, a few times a day for about a week. Then start to wait a little before you give her the piece of sausage, at first only a second, than more and more but always in small steps.
With this method she will learn to look in your face and to concentrate on you and you can see if she's concentrated.

Later you can use the command "look" so that she walks proberly at your side. Because she is then concentrated on you, she can't look at other people.

The advantage of this; your dog will not know if you have sausage in your mouth or not.
Thank you. I have started this training today and she has been replying well. Is there anything more I can do to make her pull less in the meantime?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Stop walking or go in the opposite direction everytime she pulls. You won't come far thsi way at the begin, but the more consequent you do this the more boring it becomes for her. That's the moment when she begins to search a solution, which is of course not pulling. Sometimes we can see why a dog is pulling and as a praise for not pulling the dog may be allowed to go there and have a look. So that she can reach what she wants but only with not pulling.
Always when my dog pulls I stay still and say "back" and I do another step when he's exact at my side, and he knows that 'boring game'
When You stop you can then use the command 'look' to take her attention away from every distractions so that she knows that you are still there.

It needs a lot of consequence and patience, but that us what dog training is about. You don't need special harnesses, collars or leashes, just consecuence and a lot of time.

·
Registered
455 Posts
what worked best for me to get my very strong, energetic and easily distracted dog to walk nicely at a heel on a loose leash 100% of the time while walking was to every time she pulled, immediately stop and ask for a sit and stay. wait a minute or two, then continue on in heel, if she strays too far/is not listening to her heel command/starts to pull, immediately ask for sit/stay again, wait another minute or two, continue on. I had to do this almost every few steps at first! but eventually she got the message -- if she did not walk nicely at my side on a loose leash, she was not going to get to walk. I have found that even though at this point her leash manners are very good, if she is feeling REALLY energetic before a walk it never hurts to tire her out a little bit w/ a bit of fetch or something before a walk, especially if she has been cooped up for a while for one reason or another. usually I do not have to do that though no matter how hyped up she is feeling as when we take walks I can have her off lead for the first mile or so and let her run around ahead of me a bit as where I live is down a very low traffic dirt road.
anyway to really work on loose leash walking it wouldn't hurt to get a bit of her energy out beforehand w/ a little playtime so it's easier for her to focus, and the sit/stay method has worked well for me w/ both dogs I have had that have pulled and been easily distracted.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The way to get her to pay attention is to ignore her. Be a tree. Stand and let her go to the end of the leash Do nothing until she comes back to you. Then you can reward her with a treat. But otherwise don't give her any attention. When I was training my dogs not to pull on the leash I'd just stand there and look in the other direction. Didn't take long for them to figure it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all so much. Lacy has improved a lot. She doesn't pull as much as she used to and she is starting to listen to me for once! Walks are now much more enjoyable. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts