Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lab is a year old. He was left by my brother who refused to take care of him, due to the situation leading up to him being left to me his training went neglected. Im working with him now as I am able to do so in a safe enviornment. But no matter what exercise regimine we get on he is still so hyper that he can barely be contained. Is there any way to calm him? A natural remedy, cirtine kind of toy that helps with cases like this? He tends to destroy and eat most toys if we are not careful. Beds included.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have heard (and have said it before on this forum) that an exhausted puppy is a well behaved puppy. That needs to be your mantra. LOL Your dog needs more exercise, not necessarily more training. Once your dog is tired, you should start the "calming" methods that you can find on line. Here is a link with good advice: Training a Hyperactive Dog to Calm Down | Whole Dog Journal

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Let's start by finding out: How much exercise exactly is he getting per day? What kind of exercise is it (leashed walks, off-leash walks, fetch, a dog sport, running n the backyard, etc). How frequently does he get exercised?

How is he hyper? Is he destructive, rude (jumping, demand-barking, mouthing and biting) or simply always wanting to play and be entertained?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let's start by finding out: How much exercise exactly is he getting per day? What kind of exercise is it (leashed walks, off-leash walks, fetch, a dog sport, running n the backyard, etc). How frequently does he get exercised?

How is he hyper? Is he destructive, rude (jumping, demand-barking, mouthing and biting) or simply always wanting to play and be entertained?
The rude mouthing destructive type. He runs in a 25X24 pen for a couple hours in the morning and night, lots of fetch and running me down. It dosent seem to be enough though, our neighborhood is not exactly dog friendly towards us, (noone has a problem with anyone elses dogs. Just ours even though ours havent done anything) so offleash rnning is a nogo and leash walks are a bit difficult, is there something i can put or do to the pen to make it more entertaining?

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Okay, yeah, you need to be taking him somewhere somewhat novel. It really makes a huge impact on how tired out your dog gets because they get mental stimulation when they explore a new place. He needs a changing setting... Either a daycare or drive him to a safer neighborhood or a local park.

I've seen firsthand the impact of traditional "walks" on dogs that have lots of running space, and use that space all the time (be it a dog run, a backyard, a few acres of property) and the results are pretty significant. Doesn't have to even be super frequent but maybe for an hour each day you need to take him to a place where the sights, sounds and smells change from day to day and there's always something new to investigate. Try this for a week and I bet you will see a big improvement.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
If you simply exercise the heck out of him, but never also work to teach him to be calm, what you will achieve is a dog that can go go go all day long but never really wear out.

In addition to the exercise reward him for calm behavior. When you catch him simply lounging around toss him a couple treats. Never reward the mouthing, jumping, and biting, those should get him nothing but being left alone. He does that leave the area, wait till he's calm, then go back in with him. If he acts up while your trying to go to him then stop and wait for him to be calm. While waiting for him to calm down ignore him completely, pretend he does not exist. Right now I'm betting he thinks that crazy behavior gets him attention, you need to teach him that the opposite is true.

In addition to walking him you can try playing with him with a flirt pole, teach a good drop it before starting to use one so that you can get it back. A flirt pole is a dog toy, attached to a rope, attached to a pole, move the toy around and have the dog chase it, remember to let them catch it every now and then. The good thing about them is that they can be used in small spaces.

Try nose games with him, having him find things, and use his nose and brain, will help tire him out.

Reactions: cookieface

·
Banned
283 Posts
He runs in a 25X24 pen for a couple hours in the morning and night, lots of fetch and running me down. It dosent seem to be enough though, our neighborhood is not exactly dog friendly towards us, (noone has a problem with anyone elses dogs. Just ours even though ours havent done anything) so offleash rnning is a nogo and leash walks are a bit difficult, is there something i can put or do to the pen to make it more entertaining?
The very idea that he is contained in a pen is rather telling IMHO. If the 25X24 if it's feet is just.........well unjust for a big active dog.

We walk our collie, about the same size as a black lab, six to ten miles a day. Every day. He is off the lead/leash for that other than when we have to cross the car park. So our six/ten miles is much more for him. Even at that, he could and would do it all again.

If you can't do that then maybe that dog isn't for you.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
If you can't do that then maybe that dog isn't for you.
I would ignore this. My city is like most cities around here, one cannot have an unleashed dog unless one is in a designated dog park or on private property where the owner of the property consents or in one's own back yard.
Lots of people have big active dogs but do not live where there are miles of open country.

I am really glad you are taking care of him, and that you are asking questions.
I have a lab mix, she is 10 months and has a lot of energy, I'm a senior. What helps a lot is that I have other dogs she chases around with (maybe you could find friends with dogs and have a dog playday a couple times a week )
Also I have a tricycle and take her along when I cycle around the local high school in the morning which takes around 20-30 minutes. It is a good workout for both of us. And I agree with Kelly that the different sights and sounds are good for them.

Rain makes a good point about teaching and rewards. And remember, labs take a while to mature so that engaging him, teaching him, rewarding good behavior takes time but you will be richly rewarded with a wonderful companion dog for years to come.

·
Banned
283 Posts
I would ignore this. My city is like most cities around here, one cannot have an unleashed dog unless one is in a designated dog park
Then go to a designated dog park. It's what we do.
A pen is not the place for a big, active dog.
I thought you might agree with that point at least.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Hi there! I have a higher energy dog as well. I suspect she's a lab x border collie but since she's a rescue, we may never know for certain.

I think you would benefit by teaching some impulse control: It's Yer Choice: Teaching Self Control | Dog Trainer Games

Having a 1 year old lab is the same as having a 3 year old child. No one would expect that child to sit happily in front a tv for 10 hours everyday, right? The child needs to play and so does the dog.

I'm a HUGE proponent of mental stimulation. Check out Kikopup on YouTube. Her videos are simple to follow and helpful. Teach basic obedience, tricks, etc. Good commands to start with are: sit, stay, down and come. Check out puzzle toys.

Remember: training doesn't happen overnight! If you see someone doing something super awesome with their dog, they probably have been working on it for months or even years.

Physical exercise is definitely important as well. I don't believe (from the info here) that your dog is ready for any off leash work unless you're in an enclosed area. I recommend getting a LONG leash (a lunge line for a horse works well) and taking your pup to the woods or mountains or beach (whichever you have closest to you) for a romp. Let your dog sniff and take in all of the different smells. Does he like to play fetch? Bring a ball along. Look into making or buying a flirt pole and teach your dog how to use it appropriately. A dog won't wear themselves out in a backyard or pen alone.

Are there any dog sports that interest you? I'm currently starting to train my dog on a frisbee with the hopes of maybe competing in Disc Dog someday. Check out Rally-O, Agility, Dock Diving, Flyball... all really cool dog sports!

You have to find the "happy spot" between physical and mental exercise. Too much physical exercise will give you a super fit dog who wants to GO GO GO. Not enough exercise will give you a bored (and destructive) dog.

Do you have a dog trainer near you who uses positive training techniques?

All is not lost! A year old is not old and there is plenty of time to fix his behavior. In fact, many high energy dog owners who get them as puppies find that around 1-2 years old, the dogs personality changes and their dog gets into a lot of mischief.

Assuming you're in the US, if you want to share the general region that you are in, people here may be able to suggest things. I.E. - Northeast, PNW, South... etc. Nothing specific.

The moral of the story is: owning a dog is a commitment. Owning a high energy dog is a lifestyle. An example of my days with my dog: yesterday, I was off from work for the holiday so when we woke up, we did a 10 minute obedience session, I gave her a Kong filled with PB while I showered and dressed... then we drove out to the beach (about a 25 minute drive) and played on the beach. It was super crowded so I kept her on her lunge line. After an hour, we walked to a really rocky spot of the beach where there were no people/dogs. Here I let her be off leash. I sat on the rocks taking pictures while she explored. After another hour or so, we went back to the car and stopped for lunch at a dog friendly restaurant. She laid at my feet while I ate. Then we headed home- she slept on the drive and was ready to go again when we got home. We walked to the field near my house and I tossed her tennis ball for a while.. home to do another 10 minute trick session. At this point, I had to get homework done so I told her to go relax. We ended the night with a 5 minute frisbee session.

I certainly don't think your dog is a lost cause. You two just have to figure out your rhythm. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's all pretty much been said, but in summary: the poor dog needs a LOT more physical and mental stimulation. And when I got to the part in your post about the dog run, I literally cringed. I think that is probably MORE frustrating for the dog than it is helpful. That is just too small of an area to be confined to for a few hours - it's probably making him MORE frustrated. He can't possibly even start to work up to a run in that space.

I understand your neighborhood is not a good place for him so put him in the car and take him someplace else. If you don't know of a fenced in or large area where you can let him run free then at least walk him in new places on a leash. It will be so good for both of you.

Good luck!
Sue

·
Banned
283 Posts
It's all pretty much been said, but in summary: the poor dog needs a LOT more physical and mental stimulation. And when I got to the part in your post about the dog run, I literally cringed. I think that is probably MORE frustrating for the dog than it is helpful. That is just too small of an area to be confined to for a few hours - it's probably making him MORE frustrated. He can't possibly even start to work up to a run in that space.

I understand your neighborhood is not a good place for him so put him in the car and take him someplace else. If you don't know of a fenced in or large area where you can let him run free then at least walk him in new places on a leash. It will be so good for both of you.

Good luck!
Sue
Or, better still, off the leash.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I don't know what city you live in but if you don't have a dog park in your area, maybe there's one a short drive away. I think that taking him somewhere he can run some of the energy off would be worth the time if you can find one. We didn't have an outside dog park in our area until recently but there was a large indoor dog park about 30 minutes away and when I had my large GSDs, that's what I'd have to do. Not pleasant for me but even the drive was a good chance for them to get out and get a look at the world. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts