Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is heavilly over-fed. Fixing this means me feeding her three (Actually when I feed her it will be two plus treats for training.) meals a day. (They give her enough food to keep a HUMAN well fed for a week over the course of one day and in human food too.) How can I get my family to let me feed her and more importantly let me feed her what she should be eating. I've tried telling them I can feed her (They said I don't fit her sheduale but the way I see it it's not like she's the queen of England or the president of the US or anything , she can adjust. ) and I've tried just feeding her without saying anything about it but then they feed her and say that mine was just "extra" food.

·
Registered
562 Posts
This is heartbreaking. Unfortunately, as go most overweight humans, their dogs tend to go the same way (I don't know if that's the case with your family; this is just what most statistics report).

You can tell your family that if they do not mend their ways, they can look forward to spending potentially thousands of dollars at the veterinarian to attempt to remedy all the health issues they are helping to inflict on their dog. Not to mention an overweight dog is leading a miserable and painful life because they cannot breathe properly to keep themselves cool, and the stress and damage to their joints is exponential the larger the breed is multiplied by how much overweight it is.

Print out the page that the above link goes to, and see if that doesn't help. My heart goes out to you and your dog. :(

·
Registered
455 Posts
I agree try printing out a list of all the things they're doing to their poor dog. That's such a tough situation to be in. I appluad you for at least trying to stand up to your family and do something about it, even though you may not be successful. How overweight is the dog? How big is she to start?
I once met an incredibly overweight dog. I was young and had a lot of anxiety (still do), so the most I said about it was "wow that's a BIG dog," the response I got was "yeah I guess she's about average for her breed." Holy shiz. Dog was a Golden and seriously looked like a sofa. It was awful. Fattest dog I ever met. If that happened today I would say something.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
I see that you posted something similar back in June. What have you tried since then to convince your family?

Unfortunately, if you've been trying for over a month to teach them better ways and they aren't listening, I'm not sure they ever will. I'm sorry that you and your dog are in this tough situation. The best thing that you can do is give your dog low calorie treats and plenty of exercise.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Ask your family how they would feel if they could not help eating everything put in front of them. Then ask them how they would feel if you totally disregarded that and continued to feed them until they became morbidly-fat-sick-and-nearly-dead. Would that be a fun way for them to live?

Remind them that canids are hard-wired to eat as much as they can fit into their stomachs. Hence the phrase to 'Wolf down one's food'. Wild dogs and wolves don't get regular meals and so it makes sense to eat til bursting when they do get the chance. This isn't the case with the domestic dog, though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am confused here.....who is in charge? In most situations the people who let their dogs and family get out of control have issues in their own lives.........
Take charge girls............Karyn

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the answers. I'lltry to reply to them all. I have tried since June but it was hopless because I hurt my wrist and was (Actually I still am.) away at the doctors a lot to try to figure out why it's not been getting any better and they said I wouldn't have time to feed her. They already know about all the bad health but they say she doesn't have any (really? Why are we always having to take her to the vet then?). She's about 2-3X her weight (Should be 5-7 pounds, is 12.5).. I can't move out or tell them to leave her alone because as someone else pointed out while she is my dog in the fact that she was gotten for me and my gram and when gram died I got her I'm under 18.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
@Mollyuu, can the vet talk to them about her weight? Often adults discount anything a family member has to say and that goes double for a child giving information to a parent. People tend to accept information from a professional they're paying. Maybe you could call the vet and speak to him or her about the problem and get them on board.

Before anyone tells me that vets know nothing about nutrition or a healthy weight for dogs, I'll say that many do indeed recognize an overweight dog. They usually have counseled the owners many times about the dangers of an overweight dog. There is a point that a Vet stops trying when all advice falls on deaf ears.

Your vet might have a hand out for owners about weight that they could send to your parents. You never know until you ask. I'm sorry you're in this position. It sucks not to have control over your dog's health and well being.

ETA I wanted to mention that there are low calorie foods out there. The parents can feed the same amount but the calorie intake will be lower. Worth some research maybe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts