Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, if you're going to tell me not to crate train or that crates are evil, I'm not interested.

So, today was Ginny's first day home, and things went fairly well. She's really great about pooping outside and even notifying us about that. Peeing is a different beast all together.

Anyway, I was hoping to not have to crate her tonight just because we didn't get home with her until 2 and she wasn't up for eating until maybe 4 or 5. So getting her settled in a crate of her own volition just wasn't happening tonight.

And then, thanks to her stealth peeing when outside (so no rewards from me for it) and then really cold and wet grass after dark (and me not staying outside long enough), I realized there was no way for me to avoid accidents overnight without a crate, since our only options for a puppy room are carpeted.

So around 9, when she was mostly full and pretty tired, I did abridged crate acclimation, with pee breaks mixed in. She would go in all the way, but wasn't up for chilling in it. She was exhausted, though, and falling asleep everywhere. So after a potty break, I put her in even though she didn't want it. She whined about 5 minutes and then fell asleep, since it was now midnight and way past her normal bedtime.

She woke up right before one and I took her out again, but no potty party. After trying to eat a dandelion, she curled up and started to snooze in the very wet grass. I put her back in the crate, and there was only minimal whining, because exhausted pup.

So now I'm sitting here, berating myself because now she'll always hate the crate.

Tl; dr: Forced puppy in crate her first night home. I want her crate to be her happy place. How horrible am I?

Pictures will be incoming at some point. <3

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
You'll be okay, just start using the crate as something more positive from now on.
she'll forget about it if you condition her gently and with a lot of rewards to think the crate is awesome.
just make sure she's out of the crate enough to be socialied with all the things she has to know inside and outside the house.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Heidi screamed in her crate for four nights. We played Crate Games by Susan Garrett. Now both of my dogs seek out their crates for naps. I wouldn't worry. :) I cannot waaaaaait to see pics!!!!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I feel a lot better about it already! I'll chalk that rambling up to it bring 2 am and the fact I hadn't slept yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts