Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help, I have a 17 week old working cocker spaniel puppy. He is a really good dog except for one thing. Peeing in the house. I have done everything I've read to do, ignoring accidents and giving him a treat every time he goes outside. I also take him out every 30 minutes and after food or when he wakes up but nothing is working, he pee's outside every time I take him but then still comes inside and goes again. He can do it and knows to scratch on the door to tell me he wants to go out and will do this sometimes, he has also gone several days without an accident but then goes back to peeing in the house again! It's driving me crazy! Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I could do?

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
My Border Collie was the same way. She would urinate and defecate outside, and then come in and urinate again. What worked for me was waiting for two separate pees while outside. I think she got so busy smelling everything that she didn't actually empty her bladder.

Male dogs also seem to always have a little bit of urine stored in case they need to mark anything.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just went through this with a male rescue we're fostering, and found that I needed to watch him at all times, and the moment he would move a leg to go I'd say 'NO'. After a few nos, he figured it out. I've also heard of throwing down keys or similar at the moment he makes an attempt (not at him, but in the vicinity as a distraction), but by the time I'd react, toss, and have it land it would be too late.

I also took treats with me, and when we'd get outside and he'd pee, he'd get a treat. Same scenario for pooping, he tried it twice inside and now doesn't try at all, only outside.

Hope this helps, and don't give up! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.