Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new on here and in the UK. We have a 4 month old Pomeranian who we are struggling to housetrain also. She seems to be doing it by the food bowls we have a 1 year old chichuahua cross I think she is trying to be dominant and eat his food . Yesterday she had a wee outside at 7 I took her out again 30 mins later she did another wee inside on the carpet (away from food bowls) we have a crate which sometimes she will wee in. A few nights ago she had a bit of an episode just got up from sleeping weed in the house took her out she did about 2 weeks and altogether must of been about 6/7 wees in 10/15 min but through the night was fine and ok the next day. Also yesterday even though I take her out about every 45 min I leave the door open to the garden and whilst it was open she peed closed to my feet whilst I was changing my baby! As if she was being cheeky and wanted me to step in it haha!! Any advice appreciated

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Hi I'm new on here and in the UK. We have a 4 month old Pomeranian who we are struggling to housetrain also. She seems to be doing it by the food bowls we have a 1 year old chichuahua cross I think she is trying to be dominant and eat his food . Yesterday she had a wee outside at 7 I took her out again 30 mins later she did another wee inside on the carpet (away from food bowls) we have a crate which sometimes she will wee in. A few nights ago she had a bit of an episode just got up from sleeping weed in the house took her out she did about 2 weeks and altogether must of been about 6/7 wees in 10/15 min but through the night was fine and ok the next day. Also yesterday even though I take her out about every 45 min I leave the door open to the garden and whilst it was open she peed closed to my feet whilst I was changing my baby! As if she was being cheeky and wanted me to step in it haha!! Any advice appreciated

Leaving the door open so that she can go out and potty is not going to work, since she has no idea that that's where she's supposed to potty.

How much are you watching her when she's loose in the house? Unless she just pottied outside she should not be allowed to wander around your house unless you are watching her. If you cannot watch her then tether her to you, put her in her crate, or in an exercise pen so that she cannot wander off and potty.

The crate needs to be small, it should only be big enough for her to stand up and turn around in, any bigger and she may pee in one end and sleep in the other. Also until she's housetrained don't put soft bedding in the crate with her or she's liable to pee on it.

Have you checked out the housetraining sticky? If you haven't here's the stick for ithttp://www.dogforum.com/housetraining/house-training-how-tos-2135/

If she keeps peeing so many times in such a short period of time it might be worth it to have her checked by the vet, she's very young for one but it will be best to rule out a UTI or kidney infection. Both of those will make housetraining next to impossible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are always in the same room as her, taking her out regularly. If she does something outside we let her walk around the house and play with our other dog. If they have been playing we take her out afterwards. She also hates the lead or collar but are working on it with rewards. I have separated the food bowls also. Will try the link thank you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You mention that she wees in her crate. It should be just big enough for her to stand up in, turn around and lie down again. You should give it a good scrub with some enzymatic cleaner and start over, otherwise it is going to be really tough. I've been strictly monitoring my Cairn puppy from day one, and he is begining to get the hang of it, but only because I've put in the work(he is 5 mo).

If you begin crating her in a small crate, try feeding her in there as well. Make sure none of the bedding have been washed with fabric softener as it smells of ammonia(pee) to the dog. and slowly as she proves herself, give her access to a small playpen, and gradually make it larger. If and when she has an accident you've progressed to quickly, and even if you're to blame for failing to take her out in time, take one or two steps back and reinforce her when she makes it with no accidents.

You should always be with her when she goes outside, otherwise you can't throw her puppy parties the second she's done weeing/pooping.

I also second Rain in having the pup checked out if she continues to pee 10-15 times within such a short time span.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Personally, I would be watching a 4 mo puppy even after doing business outside
Some dogs take longer than others to housetrain and a lot of them will use those "free" opportunities to go.
Even in the same room, you may need to really really really watch her.
If you can't, then use a tether where you leash her and keep her close to you. The crate is the other option of course
I have had great success with the tether method with multiple small dogs, sometimes they call it "umbilical cord training" :)
For myself, sometimes I think I am watching, but one glance at my phone and someone is behind a chair leaving me an accident LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes she just weed in her crate again 20 min after I took her out and she did one outside. Sounds like she needs a smaller crate , shall I take her blankets out? I don't want her to be uncomfortable . Haha Yes katebren having a young baby to I'm doing my best to keep us all together, but we will get there

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yes she just weed in her crate again 20 min after I took her out and she did one outside. Sounds like she needs a smaller crate , shall I take her blankets out? I don't want her to be uncomfortable . Haha Yes katebren having a young baby to I'm doing my best to keep us all together, but we will get there
I would get her vet checked. She may have an infection if she is going that often
After that, a smaller crate might help
Just big enough to stand up, turn around and lie down
You can take the blankets out
And as someone mentioned above, it will need a good cleaning with an enzymatic cleaner to get the pee smell out
Or maybe start over with a smaller one
Good luck! You sound like you have a good attitude :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.