Dog Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
A UTI would not make her hesitate to go potty outside. That problem seems to me to be more connected with her confusion. It MAY be that you are actually making too much of a fuss over her when she pees outside... Is it possible this could be a little overwhelming to her? You'd have to look at her body language and see what her reaction is to all the fuss. Is she jumping around happily, with tail wagging?... or sort of crouching with her tail tucked looking overwhelmed? I really can't guess from here, but its something you could consider as you try to decode her brain! LOL!
She eats her treats and keeps looking at us with a cocked head and a very blank expression. When there is any tail wagging, it's not much. She usually just keeps it stuck straight out like normal.

She definitely doesn't get anywhere near as excited as when we're working on training obedience commands. Her little body starts wiggling everywhere. :)

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
She eats her treats and keeps looking at us with a cocked head and a very blank expression. When there is any tail wagging, it's not much. She usually just keeps it stuck straight out like normal.

She definitely doesn't get anywhere near as excited as when we're working on training obedience commands. Her little body starts wiggling everywhere. :)

Interesting... maybe she is not really "getting it" as to why she's getting a reward. Do you use a clicker when you train obedience, or some sort of marker word? Maybe you could incorporate that into the potty training if you do... Just an idea...

Or maybe she's not exhibiting a lot of happy behavior after peeing because she's just sorta uptight about the whole thing... like she's still very afraid she's doing the wrong thing.

Overall, my suggestion would be to just stay the course, be very CALM with her with regards to all the peeing stuff. Treats and quiet praise when she potties. She sounds just a wee bit on the shy side to me? Does that make sense according to your observations?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I just bought a clicker yesterday. I've been wanting to try one out for awhile, especially because I thought maybe it would help with the housetraining.

I honestly don't think she does get it. Because the more I think about it, the expression on her face when we praise her and give her her treats when she pees outside is like she's looking at us weird, like she's saying, "okay...what are you people all happy about?"

I don't know if she's shy or not. She certainly doesn't seem to be when she goes in the house. :p

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Actually a UTI can cause her to go a very little bit so when the OP thinks she has interrupted and that's why there is a small spot, why she's having accidents inside, and why she doesn't need to go when outside. it could also be she just doesn't have to go anymore or that the potty party outside is overwhelming...I'm not sure how its no way a UTI, personally I would rule it out
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
22,639 Posts
A UTI would not make her hesitate to go potty outside.
actually, this does sound like UTI is possible, i'm not sure why you think that it wouldn't make a dog hesitate to go?:ponder: have you ever had one? they are painful, it makes going to the bathroom painful, which could make you hesitant about it ;)... i'm not saying that it is a UTI, but it certainly is possible...

you can actually try to collect a urine sample to take into the vet, but you have to catch it midstream... anyway, that tends to be a less stressful/cheaper route, if that is a concern...

IMO, it is never a bad idea to consider the possibility, better safe than sorry :)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

21 - 25 of 25 Posts