Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
6,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doppler pees on himself. He still has poop accidents inside every now and again, but mostly because he's pooping and eating at the same time. How is he okay with literally squatting and peeing all over his front legs ><

Anyhow. Has anyone taught the back leg lift for dogs to pretend to be peeing? What was your first baby step? I'm thinking he might be able to learn to lift higher, thus want to squat less and pee on himself less. Or is this wishful thinking?

how is he not averse to peeing on himself, I've no idea....

·
Registered
661 Posts
How old is he? My boy squatted as a puppy, I can't remember when that changed, four months old maybe?

·
Registered
250 Posts
My dog lifts his leg and still sometimes manages to pee on his front legs.....

I taught a rear leg lift by asking for a back up and clicking when he lifted his left hind leg. I started by doing it against a stair because he already knew how to back up the stairs. When he lifted the left hind on to the stair I would click and treat like crazy. Then we slowly moved away from the stair a step at a time. It was actually much easier than I thought it would be !
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
6,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doppler is 5. I don't care that he squats, just that he pees on himself! Lmao.

Like he full on peed on himself this morning. Bath required. Normally he almost pees on himself, but today he didn't miss at all.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Forbes also squats. I'll be checking this thread out to see if that is something someone has taught their dog. I always just assumed it was something they picked up on their own.

Reactions: Kwenami

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Levi is also a squatter. I wonder if there is someway you could teach him a pee-stance. Like a conformation stack...but for peeing?

Reactions: jclark343

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
That's funny - I think Chisum squatted for a few weeks, but he started lifting his leg pretty early on. He always lifts his leg now, sometimes just a bit, others really high (when he's trying to pee on something). My trainers also asked me once if he was neutered because when we're outside he likes to mark on everything. But, he is. :)

I would assume you could teach it, much like another poster said. Maybe you could put a command to it and issue the cue when the dog starts to go? I'm not sure if it would be hard to get them to pay attention to you when they're trying to take care of business, or how you'd make it a habit.

Chisum never pees on himself, but he pees on others constantly - since he likes to mark interesting things, he'll sometimes pee and then Sophie will stick her head down there (or she'll be sniffing the object and then he'll pee). I've also had cats walk right under him while he's going and then stand there like they're taking a shower. It's very, very gross.

·
Banned
275 Posts
Winston had just started consistently lifting his leg to pee when I took him to be neutered. He's been back to squatting only since his operation six months ago. He's a year and a half old.
Should I be worried that he doesn't leg lift? It doesn't bother me. Sometimes I do see him get a little on his front paws if he's not being careful, but I really don't think much about it. He's house-trained. I've never had a male dog that squats throughout his life, but if he's happy with it, so am I! My very old dog has to squat to pee now because he's too arthritic to lift his leg. My middle child lifts his leg quite high whenever he pees, so Winston is exposed to both styles, and like I said, HAD started lifting his leg pretty much every time he peed and was starting to mark places, but after he was neutered all marking and any leg-lifting for urinating just stopped. *shrug*

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
I understand teaching them to lift their leg on command, but how do you teach them to associate that position with peeing?

·
Registered
661 Posts
In the video at the end, she combines it with asking the dog to go pee, but only shows the dog lifting its leg inside and not peeing.

But I agree with you, the challenge surely must be to get them to associate the two things.

·
Banned
6,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I understand teaching them to lift their leg on command, but how do you teach them to associate that position with peeing?
This is pretty much what I'm looking for. Lol.

I think he needs to be peeing on cue first, too. This may be too challenging for him as a starting trick to learn when he doesn't even have a proofed sit yet (I know). We've been working mostly on behavioural issues and barrier frustration/Koda's reactivity but not peeing on himself is definitely something he's going to need to learn. he's not good with baths, either, so that's going to be a fun first experience teaching ><

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.