Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering if I could get some housetraining advice for my 3.5 month old pitbull puppy. There was a couple of similar posts but I can't seem to find them so I apologize if this is a repeat post.

Because I work full-time I didn't have the option of NOT using pee pads and crate training isn't really an option because there is no way I want her cooped up in her crate for 4-4.5 hours at a time. I have her gated in the kitchen with her crate (she has no problems sleeping in it).

I was reluctant to use the pads because I know that house training Mia will take a bit longer. Right now I leave a pee pad in the hallway, so when I know she's about to poop or pee, or every 15-30 mins I will open the door and she knows to go out to do her business on the pad. She hasn't learned to give me any signs that she wants to go out though. If I don't catch her in time, she will still do her business inside, most of the time on the pad. It's so hard to catch her every time! arg! lol

I would like her to do her business outside but she doesn't get her 3rd set of shots until April 8th and my neighborhood has dogs EVERYWHERE so she's at high risk of catching something right outside my building (I have a lot of dogs in my building too).

Basically this how a typical day goes:

5:00am - She wakes up pees and poops within 5 mins of waking up
6:30am - eats her first meal
7:30am - I let her out before I leave for work
11:45am - I come home for lunch and she pees and poops within 20 mins of me arriving home
12:30pm - I let her out right before I got back to work
4:45pm - She pees as soon as I let her out when I get home, usually poops within 30 mins of me arriving home.

She doesn't always pee when I let her out in the hallway but when she does I will praise her and if I have a little kibble left in my pocket I will give it to her.

Lately I have noticed that when I come home for lunch, there is no pee on the pad and as soon as I let her out in the hallway she goes, so that's a sign that she's learning to hold in her pee, right?

Is there anything I can do to teach her how to give me a sign that she needs to go out? I've read suggestions about using a bell, but knowing her, she will use the bell anytime she wants to go out, regardless if it's for a pee/poo break. Do I just have to be patient and hope that she will get there eventually? Her poop schedule is pretty predictable but the odd time I will miss it and she ends up pooping inside.

Because she is learning not to pee in her kitchen area, I would like to eventually open up her area to the foyer/entrance as well so she can eventually learn not to pee in my entire apartment. I did for a week or so (limited to the foyer/kitchen area) but she would end up peeing in random spots (not on the pad) so I limited her back to the kitchen. I'd imagine this will take a lot more time because I'm not home all day with her to watch her 24/7, I can only train her so much while I'm home with her (before and after work, during lunch).

She still wakes up in the middle of the night to go pee (around 1:30am). I've read that there are mixed opinions on removing the water bowl a few hours before their bedtime vs leaving water out at all times. I usually remove her water an hour before she goes to bed.

Is there anything that I'm missing that I should be doing?

Thanks!

Yoshi

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops, forgot to write that at 630pm she gets her last meal and she doesn't poop again until the morning (if she sleeps with me). If she sleeps in her crate she will wake up in the middle of the night and poop.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I indoor trained my dog for the first five or six months of his life and then switched him to outside cold turkey. What you're doing with a pad in the hallway at least teaches your dog not to go in the main part of your home and you can use that to your ultimate advantage. The main thing about teaching a signal is to teach your dog something like sitting by the door and linking that to going out to potty. Eventually your dog will catch on to the repetition and sit by the door when she needs to go out. You can do this with a more obvious behavior like coming over to you and putting a paw on your leg, for example. Does that help at all? To put it simply, teach your dog the signal and then immediately take them out upon them using said signal. I used a bell up until a few months ago when I felt it had served its purpose and was no longer necessary. In our case Merlin developed a new way to tell me he needed to go out after we moved to my new apartment.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I indoor trained my dog for the first five or six months of his life and then switched him to outside cold turkey. What you're doing with a pad in the hallway at least teaches your dog not to go in the main part of your home and you can use that to your ultimate advantage. The main thing about teaching a signal is to teach your dog something like sitting by the door and linking that to going out to potty. Eventually your dog will catch on to the repetition and sit by the door when she needs to go out. You can do this with a more obvious behavior like coming over to you and putting a paw on your leg, for example. Does that help at all? To put it simply, teach your dog the signal and then immediately take them out upon them using said signal. I used a bell up until a few months ago when I felt it had served its purpose and was no longer necessary. In our case Merlin developed a new way to tell me he needed to go out after we moved to my new apartment.

I hope this helps!
Ohhhh! I like that!! I will try that! Very helpful, Thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts