Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 year old GSD who has lived outside his whole life, due to parents not letting me keep him inside. I am going to be moving out in the next month with a friend who is letting my dog move in with me! I want him to stay inside most of the time and would like some advice on how the best way would be to house train him, and accumulate him to inside life?? He will still have an outside area to stay in while we are not home, but not sure what is the best way to go about this? He does know the potty command, for when I take him on drives and we go places.

I also am wanting to change his dog food to a more senior food, I currently feed Hills Science Diet Senior 7 plus years, but want to feed him a better quality food. Would like some suggestions on that as well.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Actually, it has been my experience that dogs who were previously outdoors are a breeze to housetrain. They're simply used to doing it outside and already have that habit.

I would be cautious, anyway, and also concerned about potential marking. If you think he's going to mark, look into Belly Bands for the time being so at least he doesn't make a mess.

For general housetraining, just take it all back and pretend he's a puppy. Take him out as frequently as possible, and confine when you can't keep an eye on him. But I imagine he'll progress quickly.

I'd also recommend that you take him to your new place a few times in advance and allow him to acclimate.

As for food, I personally feed Taste of the Wild but if you're sticking with kibble there are a lot of good choices. I'd not feed Science Diet because the ingredients aren't great and it is so expensive for the quality you get. Check out dogfoodadvisor and look up some of the higher star foods to see what sticks out to you. You can also order bags of food online at chewy.com which usually saves you some money. :)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
My pup that had lived outdoors for his first 6 months before I adopted him was house trained in a week or so. I think the big deal with little puppies is that their bladder is so small, older dogs have more control and pick up on ideas like house training fairly quickly.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah, I have a concern about this with my newest 5 month adoptee. With the great weather here, and the cover patio I've turned over to her, she is staying outside for now. She's pretty regular, too, with her #2, and has picked out a favorite spot (right by the trashcans, too!). But her #1 is all over the place. She does it on grass most of the time, except when excited, but if I bring her inside, I bet I will have accidents. One of my two previous dogs never really got house trained, and he never got the don't go inside thing, so I want to get it right this time. Not sure how that works when they predominantly live outside, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts