Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 8 month Fox terrier that I rescued a little over 2 months ago. It is not my first time owning and raising a dog but it is my first time doing so in an apartment so I had to use potty training methods I am not used to. I have never been a fan of the idea of crate training but since I can't let her out to roam the outdoors freely I knew it was my only option. So we went through the process for about two weeks at which point I started weaning her out of her crate: first letting her about the house while I was home and could watch her (i took her out potty every 2-3 hours btw from the beginning and still do so), next after about another month letting her stay out at night, and recently over the past week letting her stay out home alone. She has done very well in all areas except pooping. She hardly ever has a pee accident in the house which is usually because I forgot to take her out, and there are no behavior issues (she's a very happy and playful pup to this day)

But for the life of me I CANNOT get her to stop pooping in my house. I grew up in the country where potty training consisted of showing them what they've done, shaming them, and putting them outside. Which works very effectively when the dog doesn't have to worry about being watched going potty outside so the psychology of "mommy doesn't like when I potty" doesn't matter there. I knew it would be different here because I have to be there every time she potties. So I tried very hard in the beginning to be calm and emotionless about her inside potties. I tried taking her outside mid poo to finsh without saying a word. I still jump over the moon with praise and excitement when she poops outside. Nothing works.

I have finally come to the conclusion that she wants to poop inside for some reason. And I have recently given up on hiding my disapproval, which doesn't seem to phase her anyway because even though she now knows I don't like it she will drop a terd right in front of me while I'm looking at her and then high tail it for safety or sit and pout because she knows what she's done.

And no it's not a smell thing or territory thing or anything like that, I know because even though she has made potty on my carpet in the beginning she quickly began to limit all of her potty incidents to the dining space because she knows I get less upset there. And I use a disinfecting scent destroying cleaner, AND she doesn't have a habit of going in the same exact spot, ever.

But what REALLY makes me think she WANTS to poop inside is that she will not poop outside even when I can see a turd hanging out of her butt or prairie dogging. She will hold it for days of she can when I crate her and then only poop just enough when she just can't hold it in anymore when outside, which is usually during a daily walk. So I might get a tiny poop once a day outside. But if I let her have her way in the house she will let out massive poops frequently through out the day. And I am reaching my limit.

I don't want to go through the crating process again because she does just fine in every other area, especially peeing so I know she gets the potty outside system. And even though you'd think this problem would get worse as I let her out of the crate more it seemed to lessen when I stopped buying wet dog food, simply because she doesn't want to eat her dry dog food when she knows there's something tastier and there for willingly does not eat as much now and poops less. I also provide her food at the same two times every day consistently so that I know when I SHOULD expect a poop.

But my new frustration is that she will only poop outside on walks if even then. Which due to weather or me having a bad pregnant day sometimes just can't happen. So since she has learned to expect a daily walk, she has not pooped on a potty break in weeks.

That's it, that's all I have and I cannot possibly think of what to do at this point. I need help because my irrational pregnancy anger is making me want to lose it on her every time now, which I don't, but lately I've been literally dreaming at night about beating the poo out of her, and because I do love her and she's so well behaved in every other way I am desperate to find a solution for us.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
You need to actually do house training 101 with the crate. She doesn't want to make you angry, she just never learned that going outside is what you want, because you never really taught her that. So do the house training, every time, exactly was you're supposed to.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Where do you take her for potty breaks. is she on the lead all the time?
Sometimes pups and dogs don't poo on walk due to lack of confidence and would rather wait until they get home.
She might never have been properly toilet trained and got into a habit of pooing on certain surfaces such as newspaper .
She might not like pooping when she is on the lead .

It must be very difficult and frustrating for you but your puppy really doesn't do this to annoy or upset you.
You need to build up on your successes. When she does poo outside , you need to make it much more rewarding for her . What gets rewarded , gets repeated. praise often isn't enough. Try using food rewards such as cooked liver. How does she react when you praise her excitedly ? Some dogs might find it scary if they are nervous dogs.

And I have recently given up on hiding my disapproval, which doesn't seem to phase her anyway because even though she now knows I don't like it she will drop a terd right in front of me while I'm looking at her and then high tail it for safety or sit and pout because she knows what she's done.
I can understand why you have given up and reached the end of your tether, you've been very patient so far but really try very hard not to show disapproval. She's running away because you're angry , that doesn't mean to say she understands WHY you are angry.
If you show disapproval when she poops in front of you indoors , then she will try to avoid pooping in front of you out doors

If she poops on a proper walk then you need to walk her or get someone else too . say go potty as she is actually in the act of pooping . When has finished , give her a treat. Repeat this every time she poops outside. In time When she gains more confidence , you can ask her to go potty on a toilet break and hopefully she will poop.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See the problem is I've done all these things. She loves being praised.

I did "proper crate training" exactly like I was told to do by everyone and my vet.

She has no problem with the leash, it doesn't bother her at all, she will gladly come to me without being told and sit in front of me and wait to be leashed when she sees it in my hand because she knows it means we're going outside Which she also loves.

When she goes in the house she doesnt run because she's responding to anger, because it's her running (or going to her crate to pout) that tells me something has happened before I've had a chance to get angry. The crate here baffles me, we've never used it as a punishment or put her in it when we were upset, but when she thinks we're mad at her and wants to be forgiven she goes to her crate and pouts while she waits.

And when I say I think she WANTS to poop in the house, I don't mean I think she has a vendetta against me or is doing it TO ME. I don't think her reason has anything to do with me but there has to be a reason. But like I said, she's not afraid of being outside, she likes her leash, she doesn't have a problem with going in front of me. When she potties outside and I praise her she's so happy to make me happy.

She was a bony disgustingly dirty stray on the side of the road out in the middle of nowhere when I found her, she didn't come from a pound or anything like that where she could have learned to potty on newspaper (plus we tried pee pads and she hates them only wants to tear them up), im assuming she was was a dump puppy that couldn't be sold and was just left. I've seen dump puppies before and how they react to car rides the first few times, they are super sad when you stop the car because they think that's it and that you'll leave them. She was one of those dogs. So I don't think this has anything to do with previous training because I'm pretty sure she's never had any.

I've seen the vet he doesn't think anything is wrong with her, her digest system works fine, and she cognitively capable of understanding this. She's a very smart dog, we do training with tricks and treats and she catches on to everything easily, we don't have bells but we do have a bag on the door that she shakes when she wants to go out, and we only respond to it with potty breaks ( I think she still has yet to learn that it's just for potty) but the fact that she knows to shake the bag to go outside on top of her training, her self taught harness and leash routine, and she knows I love it when she goes outside, all tell me that she is smart enough to know that I want her to poop outside and outside only. SHE just doesn't want to, again she's not afraid, she just doesn't WANT to.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And yes I say go potty and go poop while she's going outside, and she knows what the words mean. She knows what bring the Fox means and will bring the Fox to us to play tug of war. So I know she knows what I am saying when I say go potty and go poop ( I say potty for peeing and poop for poop) and she will go potty when I ask usually if there isn't too much going on to distract her, but this doesn't work for pooping.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
347 Posts
See the problem is I've done all these things. She loves being praised.

I did "proper crate training" exactly like I was told to do by everyone and my vet.

She has no problem with the leash, it doesn't bother her at all, she will gladly come to me without being told and sit in front of me and wait to be leashed when she sees it in my hand because she knows it means we're going outside Which she also loves.

When she goes in the house she doesnt run because she's responding to anger, because it's her running (or going to her crate to pout) that tells me something has happened before I've had a chance to get angry. The crate here baffles me, we've never used it as a punishment or put her in it when we were upset, but when she thinks we're mad at her and wants to be forgiven she goes to her crate and pouts while she waits.

And when I say I think she WANTS to poop in the house, I don't mean I think she has a vendetta against me or is doing it TO ME. I don't think her reason has anything to do with me but there has to be a reason. But like I said, she's not afraid of being outside, she likes her leash, she doesn't have a problem with going in front of me. When she potties outside and I praise her she's so happy to make me happy.

She was a bony disgustingly dirty stray on the side of the road out in the middle of nowhere when I found her, she didn't come from a pound or anything like that where she could have learned to potty on newspaper (plus we tried pee pads and she hates them only wants to tear them up), im assuming she was was a dump puppy that couldn't be sold and was just left. I've seen dump puppies before and how they react to car rides the first few times, they are super sad when you stop the car because they think that's it and that you'll leave them. She was one of those dogs. So I don't think this has anything to do with previous training because I'm pretty sure she's never had any.

I've seen the vet he doesn't think anything is wrong with her, her digest system works fine, and she cognitively capable of understanding this. She's a very smart dog, we do training with tricks and treats and she catches on to everything easily, we don't have bells but we do have a bag on the door that she shakes when she wants to go out, and we only respond to it with potty breaks ( I think she still has yet to learn that it's just for potty) but the fact that she knows to shake the bag to go outside on top of her training, her self taught harness and leash routine, and she knows I love it when she goes outside, all tell me that she is smart enough to know that I want her to poop outside and outside only. SHE just doesn't want to, again she's not afraid, she just doesn't WANT to.
Posted via Mobile Device

She's not actively defying you. You need to change your perspective on this. If she knew that she was only supposed to poop outside and nowhere else then she would do that. If she checks out fine at the vet then you just need to keep being consistent on taking her out on a schedule and not expect her to let you know when she needs to go out. Since you got her when she was 6 months old, she most likely has some bad pooping habits that might take you a long time to correct.

I have a friend that rescued a pup at 4 months old, the family that they got her from swears the dog was house trained (spoiler: she was not). She would always go find some quiet corner in the house to poop or a towel or t-shirt or something on the ground to pee on. We figure she got yelled at a bunch for going in the house and started hiding it, which lead the family to believe she was housetrained. She's about 1.5 years old now and while she's mostly housetrained, she's still not 100% and need to be loosely supervised at most times, lucky she's got very noticeable potty ques.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts