Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 13 month old hasn't peed in the house in months. About a week and a half ago he came down with a cough/cold. It didn't seem severe enough to take him to the vet, so I've just been giving him chicken broth and waiting for him to get better. He immediately did, and the cough stopped in three days. However, once while he was coughing, he peed on my bed - a big long stream of it, which he has never done before. I thought it was an off night because he was sick and maybe the hard coughs were making him lose control to his bladder. It was so much pee - not just a little to release the pressure like he did when he was younger. He emptied his bladder.

However three days ago, he suddenly out of nowhere walked over to my laptop charger and peed on it in a big stream, while I was in the room, watching me. This was very bizarre, because he usually give me a signal when he needs to go out - he nudges me or nudge the doorknob. He didn't give me any warning this time.

Today, he was hanging out with me in my bed. I didn't leave him alone. But I was lifting weights and doing pushups, and he was sitting on the bed watching me with interest.

Anyway, I just climbed into bed, and realize he peed a little in the spot that he was sitting. Not a lot, but enough to soak the corner of my comforter.

I thought I was done buying Nature's Miracle!

And then, I noticed that the other corner of my bed is soaked through all the way!

Jesus. The thing is I leave him home alone every day, and he's never peed on my bed or had an accident when I wasn't at home. Today, he was in the room with me, which makes me think he specifically waited for me to turn around and not face him when he peed.

I know the usual advice - have him checked for a UTI. He's having his yearly check up next week anyway.

But I think this is behavioral. Any ideas on why he's doing this? He's absolutely fine being alone.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Is he peeing anywhere else or just on your bed?

Might be that he can smell previous accidents and now thinks this is OK. If he soaked your mattress you might need replace it.... which really sucks. Not sure if there is anything out there that will deep clean a mattress.

I would treat him like he is a puppy again though and take him out on a schedule, reinforce with treats and praise, more supervision, and not allow him on or near the bed without having eyes on him.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Can you think of anything that could be stressing him out? Are there any changes going on with you and your life?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Since you are scheduled for the vet check, that's my main suggestion taken care of! If that's not it, it sounds like you might have to make the bed (and bedroom, maybe?) off-limits for a while and do like @Thisisme19 suggests and do basic potty-training again. If you can't do that, maybe in the meantime get one of the waterproof mattress protectors while you work on the issue? That way if he does go for the bed again, it will only be on your bedding, which is much easier to clean.

And yeah, while Nature's Miracle is amazing, if his pee soaked all the way through the mattress, it might be hard to get it clean. And then, since the smell is there, it will be a tempting potty place. Some mattresses can be cleaned with the upholstery attachment on a carpet cleaner, but it depends a lot on the type of mattress.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Pax did this...trainer suggested that he may be marking "his territory" rather than just forgetting house training. Solution for Pax was a stern "stop!" when caught, grab him and take him outside like house training but on top of that he lost access to wherever he was marking (which was my bedroom) for quite a while. It stopped quick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts