Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently adopted a rescue dog. The vet estimates he is 3 years old. He was lost so no one knows his history. He has several scars and one very large one, one ear is smaller than the other, and he seems very afraid at times. We feel he probably was abused possibly. He has severe separation disorder. I have to crate him when I leave but usually am not gone more than a couple to three hours at a time and not everyday. When I crate him he will urinate and defecate in the crate. Sometimes it is so bad I have to bathe him before allowing him loose in the house. When crated he will drool, which he does when he gets nervous, to the point that he is all wet when I get back. He will not even go potty outside until I have sat and held him and talk to him about 10 minutes when I return. After that length of time he is ok and does fine. He has not ever, except the first night I had him, had an accident in the house, only in the crate. He is perfectly housebroken as long as he is loose in the house, but not when put in the crate. We have cats that he he is not very nice too on occasion, so I am too afraid to leave him loose in the house and not crated.

Any suggestions and or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Mickee

·
Registered
442 Posts
This is just my opinion...he sounds scared of the crate
Since you don't know his history, it could be anything
Some ideas...
Do you need to crate? Would a gated off dog-proofed bathroom work? Maybe different floors?
If not maybe an exercise pen (might be hard with the cats)
A different type of crate?
Even the puppy I am training now...hated this plastic airline type crate! Panicked. Then I switched to a more open crate...no issue.
Anyway, just throwing out ideas
Kudos for adopting, he looks so cute :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your opinion. We wonder if whoever had him crated him for prolonged periods of time and/or punishment perhaps. What I have is a wired crate for a medium dog, so he can stand up with probably 12 inches above his head. It is in no way too small for him, but it is open as it is wire and not the rigid plastic that I have seen. Because of the cats, which by the way are all rescues too, I am seriously afraid he will harm and/or kill one so I hesitate using a baby gate. Most times he is fine with them, but then for no apparent reason will chase them and a time or two has gotten his mouth on them. I am looking into training to see if a behavior trainer could counteract this behavior. If he would get along with them then he could stay out of the crate when I am gone. I appreciate your opinion and suggestions as well.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I hear you, it's hard to know with the cat safety issue. What kind of dog?
Maybe try one of the airline plastic crates...some dogs do better in those, it's sort of trial and error. Or just shut him in a bathroom with a bed and all that and see if he isn't as anxious and then the cats would be safe. The drooling makes me think he is having a real anxiety attack in there for some reason. You are so right, you never know what previous owners did. Good luck, he is very lucky to have you :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. He is just a mixed something or other. One vet said Llhapso, one said shih tzu, mine says terrier and Schnauzer. So who knows. I feel like I am the luck one to have him. I never dreamed I'd love a dog as much as I do him and so instantly from the minute we picked him up. I even thought of sending him back due to the cat issues, but I absolutely cannot bear to part with him and will do whatever we need to do to keep him and make him happy too.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thank you. He is just a mixed something or other. One vet said Llhapso, one said shih tzu, mine says terrier and Schnauzer. So who knows. I feel like I am the luck one to have him. I never dreamed I'd love a dog as much as I do him and so instantly from the minute we picked him up. I even thought of sending him back due to the cat issues, but I absolutely cannot bear to part with him and will do whatever we need to do to keep him and make him happy too.
Aw! You are lucky, he's a cutie, I can even see that in his picture :)

I see some Cairn terrier, I see the possible Schnauzer too. Scottie even. And yeah, something with the big eyes as well like a Shih Tzu.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, Cairn terrier was what I thought from the first picture I saw. In fact, everywhere we go people say he looks like Toto from The Wizard of Oz. He is my shadow and takes every step I take. I work from home and he sleeps by my feet while I work. He is the best dog I have ever had. I have no idea why such a gift was given to me at this time, but he is the greatest comfort I have ever had.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
His behavior in the crate sounds like severe anxiety to me. Basically he panics to the point that he soils himself and literally cannot help doing so. I had a dog that had a stroke and went blind from it. After he went blind he'd become horribly anxious when I left him and would pee even if he had pottied outside right before I left and I was only gone for 10 minutes. Since he had never been properly crate trained I was not comfortable crating him while I was gone, so what I did was just blocked off a small area and papered the floor with puppy pads so that both him and my floor would stay clean when he had an accident.

My best advice is for you to work on crate training with him, and for now stop using it when you are gone since it sounds way to stressful for him. It might be that in his mind not only are you gone which is extremely upsetting to him, but he is also trapped in a small box that he cannot escape from. It may end up making the separation anxiety worse.

To see how he does best you can put him in the crate and video him while you are gone. Then try putting him in one room of your apartment, bathroom, bedroom, whatever room you want, close the door so your cats stay safe, and video him while you are gone. I think being in the room may be better.

Here's a stick thread on how to crate train.. http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/crate-training-faq-3974/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts