Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently lost our dog, who we had for over 13 years. My 14 year old daughter suffers from MDD and relied heavily on her emotionally and is reeling. We are looking to get a new puppy sooner rather than later. I work in a school and am off during the summer. Would it be logical to keep a puppy pad trained for now and housebreak her in 7 months when we're off for summer? I know it's not ideal but I'm wondering if it would be detrimental to the dog?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Depends on what you mean by detrimental.

As long as the puppy doesn't eat the pads, maybe not physically. Though eating shredded pads can be unsurprising and may end with a vet visit.

However, pad trained pups are infamously known to not "stick" with housetraining and go on rugs, comforters, etc. even as adults because the texture can make them think it's a giant potty pad. Or just on the floor. Or refuse to pee on anything else but a pad.

Personally, I'd either wait on getting a young puppy when you're off for summer or adopt a young adult. And, I know that I know nothing about your daughter or situation, but immediately getting a new pet after one passes can backfire emotionally. Especially when the new pup is definitely an individual different from your previous. But, you're the ones living it.

If you're bound and determined to get a pup very soon, I'd suggest a container filled with something like gravel or sod--whatever the pup will be transitioned to--rather than pee pads.

·
Super Moderator
5,798 Posts
Another alternative is adopting an adult dog. If the USA is anything like here, there are ridiculous numbers of pandemic pups in shelters who are now a year or so old, as people have returned to work and no longer have time for them.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I strongly recommend that you do not ever use puppy pads. People come to this forum extremely frequently to ask advice because they used puppy pads and now their dog will not learn to go potty outside. Don't make that mistake. I agree with the advice above....go to your local shelter, and contact rescue groups, and get a dog who is already house trained.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts