Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping that in the very near future I will be adopting a new puppy and I am already brushing up on the finer points of housebreaking a puppy. But a thought came to my mind that I'm not sure I have the answer to.

I already have one dog, Bandit. He's 2 years old and was my first dog. So while I have experience in housebreaking a puppy..well that's just it, housebreaking A puppy. I realized that Bandit could possibly pose a problem to the strict schedule of a puppy. I know that if I were outside with the puppy and left Bandit inside he would stand at the window and bark incessantly until we come back in. On the flip side, if I take Bandit out every time the puppy goes out, won't the puppy be too distracted by Bandit to do its business? There could also be a problem inside with crating the puppy...I would definitely crate train the puppy to aid in housebreaking, but I think Bandit would get frustrated when he doesn't have access to the puppy [being in his/her crate].

Long story short...does anyone have advice on housebreaking a puppy with another dog in the house? How can I adhere to the strict schedule of a puppy while still making sure Bandit gets the walks he needs and bonding/playtime he needs? Am I overthinking this whole thing?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So then would you suggest taking Bandit out whenever I take the puppy out? Bandit won't distract him or her from doing their business? The only reason I think this would be the case is Bandit is -very- playful. If he's outside with another dog, it's playtime, and if the other dog doesn't want to then Bandit barks at them.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like i'm worrying over nothing haha. As you said, we'll see how it goes : ) Can I pick your brain though? Do you have any other advice about bringing a puppy into a home with another dog?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts