Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
13,313 Posts
In my experience it is mostly a help to have an older dog around as the puppy will tinkle when the older dog does because potty is very social for dogs. Yes crate the puppy as usual. The other dog may lie nearby and will keep the puppy company.

· Registered
13,313 Posts
So then would you suggest taking Bandit out whenever I take the puppy out? Bandit won't distract him or her from doing their business? The only reason I think this would be the case is Bandit is -very- playful. If he's outside with another dog, it's playtime, and if the other dog doesn't want to then Bandit barks at them.
You will have to see how it goes. Generally the novelty factor of having a new puppy to play with will diminish the more time they get together.

I have raised several puppies with the help of adult dogs and although there is sometimes the distraction factor overall the example from the adult about potty time and place is helpful. At first i always kept the puppy on leash until he pottied then would unclip and let them play as a reward.

· Registered
13,313 Posts
Well lets see...

Use a crate for the puppy.. A lot! The puppy will need rest and will not have the sense to take a nap without being put in the crate. The adult dog will also need plenty of time off from the puppy as puppies can be annoying because they never stop.

Spend time on the floor with both dogs giving them treats and rewarding them for calm behavior... Help them play gently by being calm with them and gently separate for breaks if they get too rough.

Over tired puppies have no self control so its crate-nap time when the baby gets too wild.

Thats starters ;)

· Registered
13,313 Posts
Check out the albums in my profile for pics of each of our dogs as puppies growing up with an older mentor if you are interested. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts