Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, We have had our new samoyed pup for three weeks and she is thirteen weeks old. For house training, we realized that total freedom was too much and that she would need to be more contained, so we are using a child gate while our new crate is being delivered.

Now that she has settled down and accepted a short hallway as her domain, she has been very good. She will whine at 3 or 4am to go out, gets it done and then comes in and goes back to sleep for a while. All good there, no accidents.

The problem comes when we let her have freedom in the main part of our house. Most all the time she is very good, but once in a while she will just squat in the middle of the living room and pee with no warning. I don't want to keep her cooped up any more than necessary, but don't know if this is just puppy behavior or if we are doing something wrong.

I'm new here and just wanted to say hi and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It is just puppy behavior. She cannot have that much freedom yet. You can let her in the rest of the house, but then your eyes should be on her at all times! Also, I would suggest keeping the 'rest of the house time' for right after she already pottied outside. Just to be on the safer side!

It is okay for a puppy to be alone, or in a small place. She has to sleep a lot anyway, rest is very important. If you want to engage more with her, you can join her in her fenced place, or play outside with her!

·
Registered
662 Posts
A puppy that young has very little control over their bladder, and very little idea where is and is not the right place to go.

You should be making sure she gets out for frequent bathroom breaks (I do every 30 minutes until I figure out how the dog acts before they have to go out, and then slowly move to every hour until they are actually telling me they have to go out, which can be months). She also should not be loose unless you are able to dedicate 100% of your attention to her. A puppy who you are only sort of watching is going to have accidents, and the more accidents a puppy has the longer it will take to house train.

What I do with puppies is keep them gated in the same room as me. I keep track of when they drink water and how much, and if they drink a lot at once I set an alarm to take them out in 20-45min (depending on age; at this age I'd do 20-30min after water). If they are playing or running a lot, they're also going to need to go to the bathroom.

Pretty much, easy house training relies on the owner keeping a close eye on the pup and making sure they are bringing them out after activites that will make them have to go.

Also, when she has accidents, be sure you're cleaning it with enzyme cleaner. If it's on the carpet, soak it with the enzyme cleaner, don't just squirt a little on there and then wipe it off. I suggest Nature's Miracle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent info. Thank you and bedankt. We have 170 feet zip line for Mieke that starts at our back door and our house neighbors a huge conservation area. She gets allot of exercise. I also got a hoover carpet cleaner that has been a real but saver. She is a great puppy and very, very smart, but her attention span is ridiculously short.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts