Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I know we all suffer the same in house training dogs and that everybody has a different opinions on doing it but I'm just finding some difficulties with my puppy.
He is 10 weeks old on Tuesday so by no means am I expecting any kind of miracles with him but sometimes it feels like he just isn't getting it at all. Some days we don't have any accidents inside and he does them all out in the garden no problems. I make sure to take him out to the toilet after playtime, after sleep and any time I see him sniffing around. He is able to hold his bladder quite well and can easily go three hours between toileting especially if he is sleeping. I give him lots of verbal praise but as he is so small it's very difficult to find dog treats small and soft enough for him.
Other days, it seems like he has forgotten everything and just seems to tinkle where ever he is. It can only sometimes be a few drops rather than one large pee and if I catch him doing it he gets a stern "no" and put outside into the garden to go to the toilet.
The problem is he is an extremely small puppy so sometimes it can only be a few drops and I don't always see it on wood flooring as it blends in quite well. This may be leaving sense in the house for him where he thinks he can go to the toilet?
Good example would be this morning, I came downstairs and let him out in the garden straight away and he had a pee. I gave him praise but didn't pressure him to come back in until he was done, I then went into the kitchen briefly to get his breakfast and then I came back out he had pooped on the floor. Now normally he does all of his poops on the garden because he sniffs around an awful lot before he commits so I can always catch them and I know he normally poops in the morning and in the evening, but it's the urination it's a problem. There is no particular pattern and it's also can be little patches here and there rather than one large toilet. Therefore he can have a small leak, I tell him "no" and put him out the garden and he doesn't do anything and I bring him back inside and he finishes the rest of it off :(
In the evening due to our personal circumstances and set up, he is shut in our living room with the puppy pad, I know that people frown upon these but with a young baby in our room I can't set alarms and come down to let him out through the night :(
I just wanted anyone else is advice to see whether I'm expecting too much too soon or if I'm not doing it right? As I say I do try to letting him out at regular intervals and whenever I see him sniffing around but he doesn't seem to have any desire to go towards the garden door when he needs the toilet an will quite happily drop down where ever he is in the house! X

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yep, that's how our new puppy is too. He is learning pretty well, but when things smell like his pee he will use it again. We use Nature's Miracle to help clean up the smell and take him on walks in our field (you could do it around the block if you don't have a field). At night he gets gently put in the crate. The crate is a good thing and he doesn't use the bathroom in it because its his den. He also gets his day time naps in it (when he starts walking in tired circles he is ready for a nap). Upon letting him out he gets let out with the other dogs and praised for every time he is good.

You are doing everything right, keep it up and your puppy will learn. It can be frustrating, some dogs take longer than others, but they will learn that it makes you unhappy when he goes inside and that it makes you happy when he goes outside, and puppies love to see their owners be happy. : )

Best of luck!

·
Registered
438 Posts
You got good advice above. My advice to you is to religiously prevent this puppy from failing. If he's not in the crate where he won't eliminate he is being watched by you 100000000% with your undivided attention. At 10 weeks, he will probably be unpredictable.

If he's not being watched by you or in the crate, he needs to be at the appropriate place to eliminate (outside or on the potty pad). I recommend outside.

I know many Yorkies and other small breed dogs that never, ever become 100% reliable because their accidents are easier to miss and clean up. They get a lot of repetitions having accidents and then it becomes a normal part of life. That's why you need to be extra religious or this could be a life long problem. Not every dog will become house trained.

So either crate...watch like a hawk while he's in the house..or have him outside with you where it's appropriate to eliminate. When he goes in the right spot praise like crazy and treat like crazy. Don't react to accidents because they are honestly your fault.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Being shut in the living room with a puppy pad unless he's using the puppy pad 100% accurately may be laying the bricks for a lifelong housetraining problem. I know you have a human baby as well, but puppies are a lot of work. House training is a 24/7 affair when they are that young...not giving him any attention in the evenings or taking him out on a schedule is a huge problem. Does anyone else live in the house with you that can tend to the puppy and take him out on a schedule?

Leaving him in a room with a puppy pad when he doesn't know the right thing to do will not work. You're basically teaching him that your house is a bathroom.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts